LEGO Unitron Star Hawk II

Started by zpaolo, December 28, 2012, 01:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zpaolo

Hi all, I've contributed to the forum in the past, when I was still testing Hypershot, but I wanted to share this latest LEGO rendering because it is the most advanced I ever produced: It's a beautiful ship, with rounded brick edges, LEGO engravings on the studs and last but not least slanted pieces are now "rough" in appearance thanks to Keyshot roughness parameter :)

The model is quite heavy, being modeled in Creo Parametric and exported as obj, about 1.4 milion polygons (every "LEGO" logo is real geometry) but managing it in Keyshot is incredibly smooth

Paolo

http://zpaolo.deviantart.com

Josh3D

Hi Paulo! Great to see your work! Lovin' the LEGO for sure. Slightly dark in just a few spots but really, this is superb!

zpaolo

Thank you for the comment, I'm glad you liked it... Gamma and brightness are tricky since I've recently changed my monitor and still have to calibrate it, I usually check my works on more displays to see if everything is fine, but I couldn't this time :)

Paolo

guest84672

Great work - one question? Why didn't you import the native Creo data?

zpaolo

Quote from: Thomas Teger on December 28, 2012, 09:58:18 AM
Great work - one question? Why didn't you import the native Creo data?

I tried and the tassellation and conversion is excellent, but I usually "color" lego parts in Creo so that I can apply the same material to all "blue" bricks, red bricks etc in Keyshot (colored parts also help during assembly). If I send the model to Keyshot via the plugin, I can directly select parts (each brick), but sometimes the same material is present multiple times with different names, like, one part has "LEGO Blue" material, another part has "LEGO Blue #1" etc, so I'd have to merge all materials by hand... This is probably caused by the way I apply materials at assembly level and is very "LEGO specific" because in other cases I'd rather have direct part addressing capabilities than "per color" addressing.

Paolo

guest84672

Under the plugin settings you can specify to take assembly colors into consideration. Did you do that?

zpaolo

Quote from: Thomas Teger on December 28, 2012, 10:18:03 AM
Under the plugin settings you can specify to take assembly colors into consideration. Did you do that?

Yes and in fact the model has the right colors, but the problem is that for some reason not all the blue pieces have the same "color name"... oh maybe I did something wrong since I've been playing with the plugin only recently, I'll try again asap

Paolo

zpaolo

Ok I think I got it, when I work with LEGO I load a different appearance file in Creo, each time I re-open the model I re-open that file... for some reason if I modify some of the appearances and save the file back, even appearances that were not modified are treated as "different" in Creo (if I look at the list of model appearances it has different blue), and treated as different in Keyshot, so "Lego Blue" appears as "Lego Blue -1" "-2" etc.