Main Menu

Knife rendering

Started by bzemer, December 07, 2012, 11:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzemer

Hi,
I wanted to share a rendering I did a little while ago for one of my tutorials.
It's a based on an image I googled of Rostfrei's liner lock knife. All the project files are also available on my blog - here.
I used animation so I could rotate the blade on its pivot freely as I wish.

I'll be glad to hear your critique and thoughts...
Thanks

PhilippeV8

I like it !

I find the text funny tho ... it's very contrasty, so very much present on the handle .. thus inviting you to check what's going on, then you read it and think ... well it's like saying "you purchased an expensive scratch resistant surface knife, so that it won't look soiled with scratches ... but we soil it beforhand for you with this silly imprint .. oh by the way, we've added scratches for you, but kept them arranged in the same direction, so it's OK !"  ;)  If that text is engraved, it's even worse HAHAHA :)

Ed

bzemer - I Googled and found the photo you used as a reference.  Your render is spot on and shows a lot of skill to reproduce the lighting, textures and color in the photo. 

Now, having said that, I'm not crazy about the original photo.  Looks B&W, and if that's the effect they were going for, fine.  But knives make great subjects, so I say try another render and this time go for you own pose and lighting.  And yeah, the text is a distraction.  I'd take some artistic license and remove it.

Ed

nav123

omg that is amazing.. yhhh i found the refernce image aswell....just awesome how you recreated it so well...

Josh3D

This is great Boaz. Thanks for sharing and also for the tutorial you posted. Absolutely wonderful look into your process!

bzemer

Thank you all for your kind words! :)
Ed - I will sure experiment with other poses and lighting.