Question about workflow; updating CAD models without redoing everything

Started by cash68, December 11, 2012, 08:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cash68

If I finished a Keyshot scene, applied all materials, saved cameras, etc... and then a client wants a slight change to a model, do I have to start over?  Or is there a nice way to just hit "update model" somewhere, and have it update itself?  I am using KS 2.3.2.

Also, if I have renderings set up in que, and I let them crank all night, then the finish, the real time renderer is still using 100% of my CPU.  Is there a way to set it so that after it finishes it's render que that it quits, or doesn't use the realtime renderer?  Because I probably used a ton of power last night.

tfinlay

I wish there was an easier workflow.  For me, I end up trying to import only what I changed and reapply materials etc. to just those bodies of the model.  At one point I did re-import the whole thing... what I did is import it next to the original model, then select/paste materials over (Shift + LMB, Shift + RMB) from the old model to the new model.  I've asked about this several times on the forum, but haven't got much of a response.  As far as I can tell, its a 1-way street.

http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,4958.0.html

For your second question, try pausing the realtime render before you start your rendering.

jhiker

You can save all the applied materials as a 'material template' - delete the model - import the new one and reapply the material template. Saves a lot of time.

PhilippeV8

There is an option in the preferences menu where you can set the realtime renderer to pauze after X seconds.  Set this to an hour or so and you'll be good to go.

tfinlay

Quote from: jhiker on December 14, 2012, 01:01:04 AM
You can save all the applied materials as a 'material template' - delete the model - import the new one and reapply the material template. Saves a lot of time.

Can you provide more info on this?  Does it automatically apply the materials, or limit my selection to those I was using, etc?

guest84672

And there is always the "retain material" option inside KeyShot 2.3. Material templates didn't come until 3.1.

The material template applies materials automatically based on the material mapping that has been outlined in the template. Works for wither parts or materials.

cash68

Thanks guys!  Will try that, Thomas!  And pausing the realtime render worked great.  :)