Dominic Qwek's Art Dump

Started by DominicQwek, January 01, 2013, 04:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest84672

Love it! Gloss map / intensity map - please explain.

DominicQwek

Thomas,

SSS Intensity map - A map to control how much translucency shows up in areas, instead of a flat value across the model, we would be able to paint a greyscale map to indicate which parts should have more translucency and which parts have lesser.

Glossiness Map- Greyscale map to determine how tight or broad the specular highlights are.. Evilmaul, you want to chip in? You're the surfacing guru. :P

guest84672

Gloss map - isn't that the same as a specular map?

Intensity map - interesting. I can see how this can be useful for organic models. On the other hand, it would be determined by the thickness of the model in certain areas, or not?

DriesV

Quote from: DominicQwek on February 21, 2013, 02:09:34 PM
Thomas,

SSS Intensity map - A map to control how much translucency shows up in areas, instead of a flat value across the model, we would be able to paint a greyscale map to indicate which parts should have more translucency and which parts have lesser.

Glossiness Map- Greyscale map to determine how tight or broad the specular highlights are.. Evilmaul, you want to chip in? You're the surfacing guru. :P

By glossiness map, do you mean a map to control roughness? E.g. Fully white having roughness 0 and fully black having roughness 1. Or maybe the other way around? :)
I can see a lot of potential for worn materials as well...

The concept of 'translucency intensity' map seems interesting.
I can see it makes sense for organic models. Organisms are typically composed of multiple biological 'materials' that have different physical properties (reflection, refraction, IOR, translucency...).
I take that in zbrush you typically model your creatures as 'single parts' and not as 'assemblies' (sorry, I'm a CAD guy ;)).

Dries

DominicQwek

hmm the spec map controls how intense/strong the highlights are and the gloss map should control how broad or tight the highlights are. That way you could do things like fake sweat or wet areas and it does not have to be modeled in, you would set the sweaty areas to a higher gloss and be able to control the spec intensity apart from the dry areas of the face with the spec map. Not sure if this relates to how KS renders but its the same for most 3d packages, thats how it is as far as I know. I could be wrong

for sss intensity map, the problem is sometimes you get sss in areas you dont. Sometimes I notice I get the right amount of SSS on the ears but realised it could be slightly lesser on the rest of the head, having that sss intensity map just gives artist more control. This is also available in most 3d packages.

Thanks again, Thomas.

evilmaul

cool!

well I honestly, at least for the things that i do, dont feel the need of having a SSS texturable channel as it would go against the philosophy of the package of being phisically correct. All the shaders out there are just hacks and in all the honestly they more or less and despite how many channels you texture, look like silicon more than skin. Henrik shader to me is the best translucency shader now commercially available.
As for the glosiness yeah that could be mappable too for the kind of effects that you highlighted...in this case it would be the roughness channel being mapped I believe.
Anyway regardless of all of this...great job on the shark guy :)

Skint

PhilippeV8

Shark-man has awesome texturing !  Very convincing !  I haven't seen one in real ( a regular shark I mean ) .. but I DO have Full HD tv and animal planet :D

DominicQwek

For concept work, I find myself having to render two different SSS shots and masking between the two. That said, I agree with you about how Keyshot is a physically correct render and its philosophy to have real world shaders. It's just one of those good to have options available. I do think its one of the best SSS shaders around too and super easy to use which is a huge plus and time saver.

Quote from: evilmaul on February 21, 2013, 04:36:28 PM
cool!

well I honestly, at least for the things that i do, dont feel the need of having a SSS texturable channel as it would go against the philosophy of the package of being phisically correct. All the shaders out there are just hacks and in all the honestly they more or less and despite how many channels you texture, look like silicon more than skin. Henrik shader to me is the best translucency shader now commercially available.
As for the glosiness yeah that could be mappable too for the kind of effects that you highlighted...in this case it would be the roughness channel being mapped I believe.
Anyway regardless of all of this...great job on the shark guy :)

RenaudGaland

So good Dom! Keep rocking these.

DominicQwek

Thanks Renaud, good to see you here. :)

Here's another alien creature rendered in Keyshot 4.

guest84672

I think I saw it move ... ;-) Very well done!

snooky_rock

DominicQwek

Jedi or Sith?

Rendered in Keyshot 4. :)

Skint

Brilliant.  Makes me want to have a go at real sculpting with super sculpey clays....

... How does this dude eat lol  ;D