Product carousel with turntables - illuminated boxes (VR demo)

Started by DriesV, January 02, 2013, 02:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

This is another VR experiment.
I tried to make a product carousel, with the added ability to turn the product in focus.

http://driesv.dommel.be/KeyShotVR-contest/Product-Carrousel/Product-Carrousel.html

You scroll between products by dragging horizontally.
You can turn the product in focus (ONLY when it is fully centered in the front!) by dragging vertically.

FYI:
The controls are a bit sensitive and the behaviour of the VR can be awkward. Please, make sure to make swift and absolutely vertical/horizontal mouse (or finger) movements.  ;)
Also, the rotating KeyShot logo will hang at 8 pct. This is because the VR script is looking for many more frames (it tries to load a full hemispherical VR).

@KeyShot team:
I think it might be possible to improve the manipulation of this particular VR, when the user can only scroll through fully ADJACENT images. Or at least only allow transitions between images that are present in the VR folder.
Also, how can I make the VR think that 8 pct. images is enough?  ;D

greetings,
Dries

Despot

I absolutely love this - can you please illuminate (pun intended  ;)) on how the emitter lighting is achieved

I was under the impression that emitter materials will not work correctly when they are 'encased' within another transparent object

or am i incorrect ?

Anyway, again... I love this

J

DriesV

You are very incorrect.  ;D
The emissive material works magic with transparant materials. The only material that doesn't get along with emissives is the translucent material type (I heard this will be adressed in KS4).

If you have emissive objects behind layer(s) of transparent materials, it is key to increase ray bounces.

Dries

Despot

Well cut my legs off and call me shorty... I didn't realise that, thanks for the heads-up DriesV...

So is there just a sphere or cube emitter inside the main cube then ?

J

guest84672

This is great - but I am not sure I understand why loading hangs at 8? It made navigation impossible for me. Can you send me the files so we can take a look?

DriesV

DriesV

Quote from: biomechanic on January 03, 2013, 07:17:30 AM
Well cut my legs off and call me shorty... I didn't realise that, thanks for the heads-up DriesV...

So is there just a sphere or cube emitter inside the main cube then ?

J

Meh, don't feel like explaining it.
See for yourself.  ;D

Dries

guest84672

I looked at the files - make sure to rename x_0, x_1, x_2, x_3. And x should run from 0 to n in consecutive order, i.e. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

DriesV

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  :o

Say format of VR frame is:
y_x

then y enumerates frames vertically
and x enumerates frames horizontally

My 'horizontal carrousel' movement is defined by a range of 64 frames and the 'vertical spin' movement by a range of 49 frames.

Despot

guest84672

so you have a total of 3136 frames in the VR? I didn't see this .. but then again, I couldn't really download the zip, but only saw a list of the image in the link your provided.

DriesV

Quote from: Thomas Teger on January 03, 2013, 12:40:03 PM
so you have a total of 3136 frames in the VR? I didn't see this .. but then again, I couldn't really download the zip, but only saw a list of the image in the link your provided.

No no, I only have 256 frames, but I haven't filled the complete range of VR coordinates. Take a look at the attached PDF for a more visual and clear layout of this VR.  ;)
As to downloading the zip file: it should be completely possible.  :) I have attached a screencap to get you going.

Dries

guest84672

Ok - got it now. Didn't realize that this was for the entire zip file.

Are you planning to fill in the rest of the images?

DriesV

Quote from: Thomas Teger on January 03, 2013, 01:19:48 PM
Ok - got it now. Didn't realize that this was for the entire zip file.

Are you planning to fill in the rest of the images?

No, I left them out intentionally. I want to be able to rotate product, only when it is in focus.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see what those missing frames would add to the VR.

guest84672

Downloaded it and took a look - looks good. But I would still recommend renaming it - then the script will not wait for the other frames to load.