Antique Copper

Started by Robb63, January 07, 2013, 11:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

I'm rendering some shower parts, and am really struggling to get this antique copper finish. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm trying to get the large shower-head (lower right), to have a similar look at the smaller shower assembly (upper left).

Thx,
Rob

Airwaveflyer

The answer depends on what program you're importing from... I'm guessing that it's a CAD-file and that makes it difficult to go all the way since this requires a good UV-map on the model before you import it. With that you would be then be able to paint proper textures in for example Photoshop to put in the color/spec/bump channels.
But you can still get closer with some general textures and some post-work.

First I would choose an anisotropic material, and then I would put a cloudy texture in the color-channel of that material. Choose a good mapping. Scale it quite big and lower its appearance so that it is not too obvious (it's just supposed to break up the over-clean look). Mix the texture with a good color to get a nice copperfeel.

Find a good texture of very fine scratches and put that in the bump and scale it to a very small size and keep it at a small bump-height, you just want it to show up in a few places. Try setting the mapping to a different one if it doesn't look good at first

Play around with the anisotropic effect until you are happy with the general look.

Render out and in photoshop  darken around edges and other areas where a "polishing cloth" can't reach. and bring out the edge highlights slightly.

Good Luck

Robb63

Wow Airwave!!! Thanks for the detailed description, I really appreciate it.
Yep, you are right, the data is coming in from CAD, so the UV-mapping is a bugger!!

DriesV

Hi Rob,

I tried to create your requested copper material, but I failed to get anywhere near that sample image.
Have you been successful at it?

Dries

PhilippeV8

Try this ... tried the anisotrophic, but that didn't work.

You can play with texture/material brightness and contrast ..... with roughness ... with colormap scale etc. you know ...

Hope this works for you .. or at least gets you going somewhere ;)

PS. seems like I can't manage to attach the KSP package file I wanted to add to this  :-\

Speedster

Just a thought- shop around online (images) for good examples of "color case hardening", as used on fine guns, old Colts, the like.  See if you can expand some of it out and pull a .png, and use it as a highly transparent label.  It may get you close.  Kind of like this image.
Bill G