Need to kill the phong attribute! How?

Started by TheCrazySwede, December 19, 2012, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCrazySwede

Hi guys,

I have a client who wants to create a low poly look (very popular today) that seems very hard to do in Keyshot. In C4D this is very easy to do, as in Maya and Max. But I want to do this in KS. Ive attached a an image that shows what Im after.

I really appreciate all help.
//Mike Lugnegard

guest84672

TheCrazySwede

Indeed the materials. Need to turn of the smoothing/phong, but I cant way to do that.

guest84672

TheCrazySwede

Like this. When you are modeling in say, Maya, you usually have the viewport set to "smooth all" which basically tells to the 3D app to use a phong material with a smoothing angle applied. If you want to see each of your polygons on your model, you switch to "flat shade" ie. no phong. This can be controlled when setting up your materials/rendersetting in Maya, Max and C4D. Very easy, but since I so deep into KS I want to make the same stuff here. Low poly is really hot now and makes for a different and cool look, especially if you triangulate your mesh.
If it cant be done I have come up with another look for my styleframes, which in itself isnt a problem but it would be cool to make this work.
Thanks,
Mike

guest84672

Understand now. Right now it can't be done, unfortunately. At least not that I'm aware off. Maybe other forum members may know what to do in the modeling software.

zpaolo

You could try "isolating" each face on your model so that it doesn't share edges/polys with other faces... hopefully you can find an automated way to do this ;)

KeyShot

We are going to add support for removing / ignoring the shading normals.

Airwaveflyer

if you're modelling in Maya then select the model and in the polygon-meny choose Normal>Harden Edges.
Export as an .obj and remember to include normals in the exportsettings...
I hope this is what you're looking for...otherwise e-mail me...(another swede.. 8) )

guest84672

Thanks, Airwaveflyer! This is very helpful!