Ultrasound- Ghost/Cutaway render

Started by Imz, January 16, 2013, 12:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imz

Hi Guys,

I've been wanting to try and share a cutaway/ ghosted render for a long time in KS; unfortunately, I'm rarely in a position to share my current work. So killing two birds with one stone, I dusted off a product we did over 10 years ago- Hopefully I'll learn more about KS, as well as have updated documentation for a [huge] project I worked on for over 4 years.

Sooo... here we go; my first attempt attached, feedback appreciated. I can already see a lot of stuff I'll go back and do again, but you've got to start somewhere, right?

Has anyone found a way to adjust/ modify the x-ray material?

guest84672

This looks great. I assume you used xray for the transparent parts?

DriesV

Stellar image!

About x-ray control:
Maybe you can try to use any other material type and use a flat grey as an opacity map? That way you can still control IOR, roughness... And still have an x-rayish look. ;)

Dries

feher

Quote from: DriesV on January 16, 2013, 03:53:04 PM
Stellar image!

About x-ray control:
Maybe you can try to use any other material type and use a flat grey as an opacity map? That way you can still control IOR, roughness... And still have an x-rayish look. ;)

Dries
Great tip Dries. I have done this in the past with car roofs and headliners. When doing interior renders. For me it's easier and faster to do this type of x-ray look in photoshop using masks.

As for this image, this looks great ! Keep up the great work.
It's a keeper
Tim

Imz

Dries-  Could you be a little more specific about the workflow to "use flat grey as an opacity map"? I thought I knew what you were describing, but now I'm not so sure...

DriesV

What better way to get the facts straight, than with a KeyShot package?  ;D
The images come straight out of KeyShot. No post work.

As you can see, this approach works very well. No need for extensive editing in Photoshop for quick images.
The trick is to load a grayscale image as an opacity map in the texture slots. A flat grey image will make the material resemble the xray material and give even transparency across the part (degree of transp. controlled by brightness of map), but with control of IOR etc.

KeyShot package file with textures and scene file can be downloaded as zip.

Dries

DriesV

You can also render out a top/side/bottom/... view of the innards of your product and then use that as a template in an image editor to create a more interesting pattern of xray areas on your product. Black blotches will give you full xray transparency. ;)
This can give some pretty good results.

Note that blurred 16 bit PNGs get you much smoother 'masking' than unblurred 8 bit images.

P.S. If you think that I spoiled your thread with garbage, feel free to let me know! ;)

Dries

Imz

Thanks man!

I'll keep plugging away; I do like the white line effect of the x-ray, but I def want to push what I can pull off in KS.

KeyShot

fario

Tomas

Imz

Still plugging away at this project- Does anyone have any good tips for getting LEDs to look right?

In this model there is an LED mounted to a board directly under a light pipe (which worked great in real life)- but in my renders, I'm having a tough time getting a realistic effect- thoughts?