Prevent PC from sleeping until render is finished?

Started by JAKiii, June 24, 2010, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAKiii

Anyone know a way to prevent your PC from entering sleep mode until a render is finished?

Chad Holton

Changing your "power plan" settings is one option.

Sam

I just stay and watch the squares fade away... :-)

(no adjust your powerplan as Cholton suggested is a better way :-))

JAKiii

Changing the power plan is what I currently do, but this means I have to change it back, or let the PC run all night.  I'm looking for the more elegant solution wherein Keyshot keeps the computer awake while rendering, then allows it to sleep.

KeyShot

Good point. We will work on a solution, so the computer does not sleep. If you are running 2.0.38 then you can make KeyShot sleep after the rendering is done by entering say 100 seconds of "idle time before sleep" in the preferences dialog.

-- Henrik

Chad Holton

Quote from: JAKiii on June 25, 2010, 10:05:54 AM
Changing the power plan is what I currently do, but this means I have to change it back, or let the PC run all night.  I'm looking for the more elegant solution wherein Keyshot keeps the computer awake while rendering, then allows it to sleep.

Not necessarily- I'm sure you have an idea on what your average rendering times are. Let's say it's 1 hour... change your "sleep" time to 2 hours (to be safe) and for the nights you are not rendering, have your computer set up where you hit the power button and it sleeps or just power down completely. I know it's not as elegant as you would like but it could work until Henrik and the gang finds a solution.

Speedster

There's another interesting problem I have run up against.  For some reason my anti-virus knows when I'm going to start a major render, and decides to do a "complete 160GB virus and background scan".  It really slows things down if I forget to disable automatic scans before I start a large rendering!  I don't run at night.
Bill G
www.gouldStudios.com

Robert V.

My wish is in the same line as this topic. Could the feature "auto shutdown" be added? When I have a large render (or queues) going and I'm not at home, I would like to know that my pc would shutdown after the render. (with the possibility of the extra option to choose if you want keyshot to save the scene or not)

KeyShot

We have found a solution that we will include in the next update.

-- Henrik