Main Menu

self portrait

Started by evilmaul, January 23, 2013, 08:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DominicQwek

This is insane! Kudos to you, looking forward to the full shot.

Chad Holton

Where do you come up with these hideous creatures! Totally kidding..  ;D Superb job!!!

evilmaul

thanks a lot guys! hopefully I will be able to spam you guys with full face and lots of renders :P
and maybe post a making of. But anyway 95 % of the work is all manual sculpting , painting, grooming etc :) 
cheers,
Marco

Imz

It would be really interesting for you to do a video tutorial of your process- I'd definitely like to learn more!

DriesV

Just wondering and being curious...

Do you use KeyShot professionally? If so, in what stages of development/workflow?

Dries

evilmaul

hey DriesV, no I use it at home to render out my personal stuff (mostly digital sculptures) to a different stage of finish (most of the times I wont bother texturing them perhaps I just overpaint on them in PS). Having said that though I am trying to get KS at work where the art dept I think will benefit a lot from it when they need to conceptualize ideas for the clients , to pitch jobs etc.
In my case I just want to produce pretty pictures and I have always fascinated by 'realism' (even inthe traditional arts)...so KS is the best in the sense (and I have pretty much tried all the other software for work and not).

cheers,
Marco

DriesV

Interesting...
Thanks for the explanation.

Quote from: evilmaul on February 05, 2013, 08:33:18 AM
Having said that though I am trying to get KS at work where the art dept I think will benefit a lot from it when they need to conceptualize ideas for the clients , to pitch jobs etc.

I'll light a candle to make sure that you get your copy. ;)

Dries

themanster

Amazing work evilmaul, this is making me even more excited for Keyshot 4.

Also is there any way we could get a look at your spec map if you get a chance?

tsunami

Your work is awesome and incredible...you give a lot of reality to your works...!!
I would like to start with an organic face model render too.
What kind of keyshot material are u using?..
Aldo

evilmaul

I will post images of the WIP at some stage :)
I am just using the skin shader in the translucent material tab as starting point...then I tweeked it around a bit and plugged in the maps that I made for the head.

Izayoi

Fantastic !!
skin pore are coming from normal map or did you decimate te model in ZB ?

really inspiring

evilmaul

thanks.

The skin pore detail comes 80 percent from the pics I took of my face and the rest manual work in mudbox. What you see are render of the hi resolution sculpt exported straight from mudbox into KS.
Eventually I can render also a lower res mesh with dsp or normal map...actually the tests that I did initially in KS were done using a low res + normal map.

cheers,
Marco

PhilippeV8

If one day they'll release movies where you can imput your own head to the main characters body and it re-renders on the fly, you'll be getting academy awards .. you won't know where to stack them  ;D

feher

Speechless to be honest.
This is scary real. :o
It's a keeper
Tim

evilmaul

thank you guy...and sorry if I havent posted anything more about it....talk to Henrik about that :P
in the meantime I went ahead and will make an alternative self portrait...based on a star wars character (u can guess it easily by my nick name) and which i fell in love since it came out.
Now with the announcement of the new Star Wars and having sir Iain McCaig around , the original designer of that character, I thought I can turn myself around in something a bit different :P
started by sculpting a facial expression more appropriate for that character :D

cheers,
MArco

PS: this is not a render though  just a mudbox screenshot of the hi res mesh I am still sculpting with all the wrinkles and stuff