KeyShot 4 Materials

Started by Chad Holton, January 29, 2013, 11:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest84672

DriesV

Quote from: KeyShot on January 30, 2013, 12:36:24 PM
Hi Dries,

KeyShot 4 will understand scale at the material level as well. We are updating the material library to reflect this.
The Mold Tech materials already works with scale.

-- Henrik

Henrik, that's really great!
I gave it a go in the newest KS4 build. Seems to be working very well.
Example below...

In both images the material is the same (I added it to the library).
1st image: 100mm cube
2nd image: 500mm cube
;)

Thanks again!

Dries

PhilippeV8

Is there something else about this feature in KS4 except being rediculously good-looking ?  ;D

DriesV

The point is:
In KeyShot 4 you can use f.i. a 100mm cube as a template to make textures and use that cube as a reference to set your textures to real-world scale.
Then you add that material to the library.
If you then import a smaller or larger object and apply that same texture, the scale of the texture will be maintained. You will automatically get less or more texture tiling when your model is respectively smaller or larger. You won't need to manually adjust texture scale anymore. Textures will always be at the right scale, if your template is sound. ;)

Dries

PhilippeV8

... and that is still rediculously good-looking  ;D

fario

QuoteProcedural Woods!

yes, total agree!!!

like this:

http://screencast.com/t/qE3iaqVKpp1P

This is very helpful when creating images, for example:

Wood frames, beams, which do not need a high definition, are by far, but it should easily master the direction of the wood grain on all sides, including the section.

Antoine

schneich

Foams would be great, with a dial for bubble size :-)

cheers

t.

Chad Holton

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Sorry, no procedural wood this round though..  :(

Imz

I second a lot of what the guys above asked for.

For me, Industrial design stuff:

plastic: varieties (acrylic, silicone, polypro, pet, abs) and a few textures (SPI- A2, maybe some of the B's + Mold-Tech 11000, 11010, 11020)
aluminium- a finish like they do on the iMacs- It's soft, slightly matte, but has almost an iridescent quality I've struggled to create.
paint- perhaps a couple levels of light orange peel? Powder coated parts in particular.

Very excited for tomorrow!

Imz

78finn

A passivated zinc coating material would be REALLY useful as its a common finish on many electrical products. I have attached an example

bendruce

Hey all

I'm new to Keyshot and am just getting into material selection and properties.

Perhaps I've missed the boat on this one but it would fantastic to have a plastics folder with predefined properties for ABS, polycarbonate, acrylic, HDPE, etc.
Having used solidworks for the past few years I've got accustomed to choosing materials this way.

I'm still learning the Keyshot workflow so it's more than likely there's a reason material selection for plastics isn't done this way. 
If anyone has any pointers where I might find a library of plastics or properties so I can dial them in that would be great.

Regards
Ben