Translucent polyamides in KeyShot 4

Started by DriesV, January 30, 2013, 01:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feher

Great example of the new translucent materials in Keyshot 4.
Thanks for sharing.
It's a keeper... :)
Tim

DriesV

Thanks for all the kind words! :)

Here you have another shot. This time with a warm IES spot light from the top and a cold spherical area light in front of the 'ECO' mark.

Dries

DriesV

More of a studio approach for lighting this clip. :)
There is very little EV lighting in this scene (brightness 0,135). There are 4 area light panels in this scene.

Also a little animation of the original scene settings...

Dries

DriesV

A few shots of another very specific clip. ;)

Dries

tsunami

Superb!!!i love those material render!unfortunately i cant try because i have not ks4

timb

Do you have to change the material if you render it on a white table top?  Or will that material work well in a assembly rendering?

DriesV

Quote from: timb on March 01, 2013, 10:35:29 AM
Do you have to change the material if you render it on a white table top?  Or will that material work well in a assembly rendering?

The material is quite good as it is. :)
I applied it to a little assembly I grabbed from grabcad.
The white material is exactly the same as the the clips I posted earlier. No material settings changed. The assembly has the same scale as the clips (original size in mm).

note: I'm not to sure that these PA parts would actually work on a steam engine in real life... ;D

Dries

DriesV

Thanks!

Here's another shot with a bit more spunk.

Dries

TpwUK

schneich

thats all very beautiful and nice, but translucency in ks4 has still bugs, and the new point and ies lights are worthless when it comes to shadows... i hope there will be an update soon....

i think you can only appreciate all that with a nice 16core machine ;-)

cheers

t.

guest84672

Can you be more specific about the "bugs" with the translucent material?

DriesV

Quote from: schneich on March 03, 2013, 06:10:30 AM

thats all very beautiful and nice, but translucency in ks4 has still bugs, and the new point and ies lights are worthless when it comes to shadows... i hope there will be an update soon....

i think you can only appreciate all that with a nice 16core machine ;-)

cheers

t.

It's true that translucent materials take longer to resolve when rendering with area lights than rendering with just an HDRI. I thinks that's normal behavior.
Also, the images above were rendered on a 6 core machine (3930K) and still rendered pretty fast.

Dries