Translucent juices (KeyShot 4)

Started by DriesV, February 03, 2013, 02:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

I felt the urge to expand on some experiments with translucent juices that I did in the past.
Now lighted with KS4 ADL (area diffuse light) light panels.

Dries

DriesV

Anoter few juices... :P

Blue Curacao cocktail and plain old milk.

Dries

TpwUK

Milk looks a bit odd as if it's .... froffy almost

Martin

DriesV

Quote from: TpwUK on February 03, 2013, 06:11:07 PM
Milk looks a bit odd as if it's .... froffy almost

Martin

I know! ;)
I'm going to let the rendering cook a little longer. See if that helps take away the 'froffiness".

Dries

PhilippeV8

You should add some of these:

DriesV

A less froffy milk. ;)

Dries

DriesV

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on February 04, 2013, 12:12:56 AM
You should add some of these:

There you have it. :)
Quick and dirty.

Dries

guest84672

Great. Maybe they should be a little more translucent?

DriesV

Thanks for the advice, Thomas!

Lighting is pretty low-key, so it's a challenge to get the right amount of translucency. I'm also going to try to bump up the light panel brightness.

Anyway, this is something I did during my lunch break. ;)

Dries

DriesV

Slightly more translucent...

Dries

DriesV

Upping the ante a bit.
I decided to go for a sort of "high-end marketing look". With all the tasty droplets and condensation to go with it. ;)
Condensation is all KeyShot work.

P.S.: I'm willing to compile a little howto on model preparation (CAD/modeling app side), material setup, lighting, textures...
If anyone's interested. ???

Dries

zpaolo

I will hijack this post to talk about one issue I'd really LOVE to see solved by some rendering engine: when dealing with glass and liquid you always have to pull tricks like splitting surfaces, enlarging the liquid volume... it would be really really nice to be able to set up a liquid in a simpler way, letting the software resolve the contact between inner glass and outer liquid surfaces.

Lightwave 3D approached it, you can dictate that differences in surfaces along a ray path below a certain limit are treated as a single surface interface. Example: you have glass and liquid, the ray will travel through different surfaces: glass external > glass internal > liquid external > liquid internal spanning these interfaces: air/glass glass/air air/liquid and so on creating ugly artifact when the air liquid interface is. If the tracer could skip the "air" between glass and liquid and consider these interfaces as air/glass glass/liquid it would work perfectly and be physically correct.

I don't know if all of this makes sense, maybe I completely misunderstood how things work when refraction takes place, but in Lightwave it works, that's the only thing I know for sure :D

Paolo

fario

DriesV

Quote from: zpaolo on February 05, 2013, 02:32:32 AM
I will hijack this post to talk about one issue I'd really LOVE to see solved by some rendering engine: when dealing with glass and liquid you always have to pull tricks like splitting surfaces, enlarging the liquid volume... it would be really really nice to be able to set up a liquid in a simpler way, letting the software resolve the contact between inner glass and outer liquid surfaces.
Paolo

Hi Paolo,

That would indeed be great!
For now, the approach as outlined in these images is working fairly well for me for translucent liquids in glass.

The idea is to model your liquid as a solid and then model your glass around it (or the other way around :P) as surface geometry. Where there is liquid, there shouldn't be glass geometry.

Dries