Main Menu

Radiator in bathroom

Started by DriesV, February 23, 2013, 09:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Rendered in KS4 using the all-new Ground material on a floor and wall plane to catch shadows and reflections. It makes integrating products in interior backplates (that's what I used for the background setting ;)) SO much easier!

Dries

Robb63

DriesV,
Would you mind telling me what you are using for your wall/floor tile? Those are simple, yet beautiful! I have one client who occasionally asks me to render their products in an abstract bathroom ans these mats would really fit the bill.

DriesV

The bathroom scene itself wasn't rendered in KeyShot. ;) It's a stock image backplate.
I uploaded the image to show how I used the new Ground material in KS4 to integrate products in interior backplate images. That's all it is! ;D

Dries

Robb63

Got it, well nice job. It looks so real I assumed it had to be fake!!!   :)

DriesV

Well...it's still fake! ;D
To be technically correct: it's a rendered backplate from an online catalogue.

Dries

jhiker

Very nice.
The manual is not very clear on 'Ground Planes' - what does a ground plane give you that another material might not?

The manual says 'click 'Edit' and 'Add Ground Plane' - but from where? Where are you supposed to be when you click 'Edit'?
Thanks

Josh3D

The Ground Plane is added from the 'Edit' menu and will show up as an item in your Scene Tree. See below.

The ground plane material supports: transparency, clipping, control of shadow color, control of amount of reflectivity, support for bump map.

DriesV

Getting to that image still requires some work in post though.
I uploaded a zip file containing the psd file with the compositing.

Basically I made 2 passes in KeyShot:
1) Ground plane (radiator reflection) shown with black background, alpha channel
2) Wall plane (radiator shadow) shown with white background, alpha channel

In Photoshop I loaded the backpklate image as background. I added the Ground reflection pass and set blend mode to 'screen'. I then added the Wall shadow pass and set blend mode to 'multiply'. Finally I put one of the above passes on top of the layer stack and used the alpha channel to select and cut out the radiator.
I added a few tweaks here and there to make the image more convincing.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw6BI0tv_sN8bFFKaGdQbzF0UnM/edit?usp=sharing

Dries

jhiker

Thanks to Josh & Dries for the explanation  :)
This could be very useful!