Main Menu

CUDA and GPU rendering

Started by eon_designs, February 08, 2013, 08:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eon_designs

I would love to see the addition of either CUDA or GPU support so that rendering was done via the graphics card and not the CPU. This should speed up rendering times.

Currently use some video encoding software that utilises CUDA, the difference is incredible. Without I get around 50-60fps rendering/encoding. With CUDA this increases to over 300fps. Would be excellent if Keyshot could benefit from this increased fps?

Thanks. Eon.

DriesV

If you want to speed up, why not use network rendering?
That will still be more flexible than a networked GPU cluster, where all GPU's will have to be identical for optimal performance.

Dries

PhilippeV8

I think I may quote KS-guys on this ... "GPU rendering in KS .. Ain't never gonna happen"  :-X  ;)

KeyShot

It is not that we do not want to use GPUs. The algorithms that make KeyShot fast do not map well to GPUs. We have made a GPU implementation internally, but it was too limited and it only ran on certain types of graphics cards. Intel will release a new generation of CPUs later this year with a significant increase in the number of cores - this should translate directly into a performance gain for everyone.

DriesV

Quote from: KeyShot on February 11, 2013, 10:32:25 AM
It is not that we do not want to use GPUs. The algorithms that make KeyShot fast do not map well to GPUs. We have made a GPU implementation internally, but it was too limited and it only ran on certain types of graphics cards. Intel will release a new generation of CPUs later this year with a significant increase in the number of cores - this should translate directly into a performance gain for everyone.

Henrik, are you referring to Xeon Phi architecture?

Dries

guest84672

Not necessarily. There are other chip sets in the works.