My last step before I call an image done.

Started by feher, February 13, 2013, 10:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feher

Enviroment I used you can find here: http://3d.hidynamicproductions.com/resources/keyshot-free4you
I used the Luxion's HDR editor to enhance the dome.

What I wanted to show you was my last step I like to do before I call an image done. I convert my image into black and white. The reason I do this is I want to make sure I have a full tonel range from white to black. If I notice I have too much mid tones in an image I will go back and rework the tones. This also helps to make sure you have only one center of interest. The black and white image will tell you right away if one part of the image is fighting over the other.
Enjoy
Tim

TpwUK

schneich

i couldnt behave myself ;-P

tsunami

Tim..this is a........superb work...love it..great!!!!!

Imz

Nicely done- Since I'm self taught (and the only one in my studio using KS) I'm always fascinated to see other people's work process.

I'd be interested to learn more about what specifically you typically do to an image to post process it.

KeyShot

Saloff

Interesting hint. Although, when you say "I notice I have too much mid tones in an image", do you mean to say you charge the "amount" of mid tones using a tool (eg histogram), or you value it subjectively?

TpwUK

To be honest i do actually prefer the original out-put from KS. The others have these strange lines running through the concrete which then appear to be reflected in the wrong place, i.e top of rear wheel arch, and those same lines make it look as if the local vandal has left his mark on the car... Sorry, just my thoughts expressed, but it is still good work!

Martin

feher

Quote from: TpwUK on February 14, 2013, 08:32:25 AM
To be honest i do actually prefer the original out-put from KS. The others have these strange lines running through the concrete which then appear to be reflected in the wrong place, i.e top of rear wheel arch, and those same lines make it look as if the local vandal has left his mark on the car... Sorry, just my thoughts expressed, but it is still good work!

Martin
Hi Martin,
I seen that too after I posted the image and quit looking at it for a while. Funny how when you ook at something so long things just don't pop out at you. I got lazy and didn't want to go back and fix it. But today I did. Thanks for the imput.

What the black and white layer does it shows you right away if your subject matter you are tring to show blends into the background. Color can fool you sometimes. So taking out the color lets you see the tones in your image. I feel this is a good way to check yourself.  If you did a black and white test and you notice that your subject is blending into the background. That means you need to go back and work either the subject or the background to get the seperation you need. Also that black and white test will tell you right away what is the focal point. You should always have a focal point (center of interest) What do you want us to look at first. Then it's a matter of what are you going to do to keep our eyes in the image.
I guess the easiest way to explain this is to have examples. Maybe another time.

Ok updated image.
Tim

TpwUK

There ya go, that's the baby ... Nice that you bring up the technique of using B+W for getting tones and focal point, I did a photography course many years ago and the very same things were discussed, it's cheaper on film, but is less forgiving when the over stimulus of colour is removed, B+W is also used for enhancing depth of detail and I remember having to study a photo of an old trawler fisherman smoking a pipe in colour and in B+W, the mans skin in grey tones was like leather and made him look as he was in his 90's, so yes I totally appreciate your methodology and look forward to seeing more of your work.

Again, thanks for sharing, and thanks for correcting the image, now it works for me without whatever those lines were from distracting my attention. Very well done

Martin

Chad Holton

Quote from: feher on February 14, 2013, 06:27:58 PM
Funny how when you ook at something so long things just don't pop out at you. I got lazy and didn't want to go back and fix it. But today I did.

;D I'm the same way. Not only that, I hate when I print something I thought was good and notice a screw up that needs to be changed and realize I just wasted ink. Anyhow, all of them look great, Tim. The only thing that is bothering me is the small black & white blob below the rear door handle. I can't figure out what the reflection is of. So, now that I've noticed it, it's become my main focal point.  :D

TpwUK

Good eyes Chad, never spotted that here, but now you have pointed it out ...

Martin

Chad Holton

Thomas is rubbing off on me with his eagle eyes.. I think the white is a reflection and the black may be a hole in the environment?