Main Menu

bmw 507

Started by Saloff, February 14, 2013, 01:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saloff

guest84672

This is very nice. Something seems off a tiny bit, I can't tell what it is. It looks great, though.

Saloff

Thanks a lot Thomas.
I guess the shadow might disturb it. Can't wait to try the shadows in KS4:)

tsunami

Nice work. .I like your color choice..and may ias u where did u find backplate?

Saloff

PhilippeV8

the thing that is off on this one is that it looks like studio lighting to me ... it never matches ... outside scene with studio lighting ..

guest84672

I can live with that - it makes it look artistic. The perspective on the car may not quite match the back plate. And it feels as if the car is leaning into the backplate.

Speedster

I agree with the studio lighting look.  Makes the car look "warped" toward and leaning into the backplate.  But, hey, it's beautiful!
Bill G

degruch

Definitely the angle of the model, or the perspective, in relation to the backplate. The reflections (particularly the glass) are too 'studio' as well...but fantastic work all the same, much better than I've achieved in the last 5 years! ;D

feher

Looking very nice.
You mention in my thread about the black and white test.
Here is an example using it with this image.

In your posted image you will see I circled the white area . What this is telling me is that my eye is going all over the image first and not looking at your subject. The vehicle is a after thought. I know I need to look at it becasue thats the kind of image it is. But you have not drawn me to it. I hope this makes sense.

I took your image did a few quick layer correction with brighness contrast...etc. You will see now that the vehicle is the center of attention (focal point) It has the whitest whites and the blackest black. Our eye goes to that first then moves around.
This is the quick run down on this. There is more to take into consideration. But this is a start.

Thanks for sharing.  Keep up the great work !
My door is always open if you want  discuss more.
Tim

PhilippeV8

I'm no fan of combo picture background and studio lighting.  I understand it does give a certain effect, but personaly ...

My suggestion then would be to first aply a smart blur in PS to the backplate to make it look more aquarelish.  This way you'll end up with a shot that looks kinda like a comic-book-cover, which to me would work.

.. but that's just me  ;)

With the more artistic shots, there just is no pleasing everyone  :P

Saloff

@feher

thanks a lot for a detailed comment. And I really appreciate your hint applied to this picture. Your approach is simple and definitely very effective. Although I have a feeling that having "the whitest whites and the blackest black" is not the only way to make the focal point.

As a matter of fact, after two days (similarly to many of us), I do not like the picture mainly because of the inaccurate shadows throughout the scene. I think, within the style in my mind, I should have lightened up everything but the car, not only the "glowing parts" which you suggested to "slow down". I will try to do this later today and post the new version here to know what you think.

thanks!