Seamless Stucco Aluminum

Started by keaneray, February 17, 2013, 11:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keaneray

Hi,

I've hit a brick wall trying to make a seamless stucco aluminum and need some help. I've followed the tutorials and read up on the forum the best way forward, but I can't seam to get it right. Can anyone help? I have attached the original stucco aluminum image.

Here is my attempt:

TpwUK

That is a beautiful material you have cooked up there but it cant be seamless for two reasons;

1. you have one side darker than the other side. (Seamless means all 4 edges have to be equal in light)
2. From side to side the pattern does not marry up (In your image editor, create a new blank picture frame 2x the size of your texture here, now copy and paste as a new layer your texture, you should then see how your material/texture will "tile"

Now you could also try mirroring the material and seeing if it marries up that way, but from first looks it won't play that way either.  Let the render engine do the work for you. Design specular, ambient and bump maps separately, once you have the Ambient map seamless then produce the other two from that.

Hope that helps

Martin

keaneray

Thanks Martin, I'll have a play around with the original jpeg to make it a consistent colour and make another seamless texture.

guest84672

TpwUK

Well that's certainly quicker than my method and I am all for simplifying things ;)

Martin

Robb63

Yep, the offset filter in Photoshop can be your friend!

Also if you are using Photoshop CS5 and up, you can clean up the seams you get from the offset filter very quickly using "Content Aware Fill" along the seams, then just clone tool the areas of the seam that still look a bit odd.

keaneray

Update:

I finally managed to produce a seamless texture that worked. The problem I found was taking a picture of the stucco ali in the right light. Natural light worked best compared to office lighting which gave too many variations in light colour.

TpwUK

That's looking better, way better, it still has some uniformity that can be seen but only because I am looking closely at the finish. Scaling, rotating and offsetting x,y might be able to break it up some more, otherwise it's looking really good.

Martin

keaneray

Thanks for the comments Martin,

I'm pretty new to using KS so I can only get better in the future. I will try your recommendations to see what I can come up with.

Ray

keaneray

Made a little more progress on this material using a trial of Genetica. The software produced a good seamless tile from a photo I took of a Stucco Aluminum panel.

TpwUK

That looks better now ... I'm thinking with a little more work and you would have yourself a good hammerite paint material http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/direct_to_rust_metal_paint_hammered_finish.jsp

Martin