Passivated Zinc - Material Request

Started by 78finn, February 19, 2013, 04:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78finn

Hello there...

Pretty new to KeyShot material creation - most of the time I'm able to get away with using the stock materials.

However, I'm after a material for products/fittings that have a passivated zinc finish i.e. many electrically certified nuts/bolts have this type of coating - see attached image.

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!!

Chad Holton

Hello - Here's one I created for KS4 but it didn't make the cut. You may want to play with the scale, blend color, etc. to fine tune it to your liking. Attached is the KMP file, if you want to try it out.

78finn

Awesome, thanks Chad - will give it a go!

PhilippeV8

Here's my edit of Chads version.

On the spark plug I've got "blend with color" turned on .. you might want to turn it off (as on the KS ball) to get more of the color variation effect out of the texture.
Play with all values to fine-tune to your liking and needs.

PhilippeV8

Or this one ...

PhilippeV8

Curious to see if someone else can push this even further.  Cuz for sure, this is an interesting material !

guest84672

This is starting to look quite nice ...

78finn

Wow...great response...looking great! PhillipV8 - think you have it at the moment

PhilippeV8

Lookin at this again, I think the texture map should be tweeked.  The greens need to be less saturated, while there should be a bit more of the red.
Also to make it perfect looking on such objects, you'd need good UV mapping.  Now it looks as tho it's not tileable, but that's just because I had to use box-mapping.
It could also do with a good high-res very-very-very-fine scratch bumpmap.

Question for the KS guys .. how do you get materials to look dull/matt .. like the picture at the top.  It's metal, it's reflective, but yet it has kind of a hase going on.  Is that due to miniature scratches and should we do this with a bump map ?  Or should I add a 90% transparent png label ?

Chad Holton

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on February 21, 2013, 11:33:06 PM
Question for the KS guys .. how do you get materials to look dull/matt .. like the picture at the top.  It's metal, it's reflective, but yet it has kind of a hase going on.  Is that due to miniature scratches and should we do this with a bump map ?  Or should I add a 90% transparent png label ?

That particular material, I bumped up the roughness to take some of the reflection out and then bumped the samples up (under the roughness slider) to smooth it out a little.

BTW - Love the hinge!  8)

Adam_M

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on February 21, 2013, 11:33:06 PM
Lookin at this again, I think the texture map should be tweeked.  The greens need to be less saturated, while there should be a bit more of the red.
Also to make it perfect looking on such objects, you'd need good UV mapping.  Now it looks as tho it's not tileable, but that's just because I had to use box-mapping.
It could also do with a good high-res very-very-very-fine scratch bumpmap.

This is something I've been trying to play with for awhile. A lot of the parts I deal with are machined but don't have a done of reflections. And I don't want to bump up the roughness cause the part is smooth. Hoping to hear some good info about this.

timb

I played around with the file a little.

isucollateral

hi, does anyone have the .mtl file for the updated version?

Cheers.