Previous topic - Next topic

fario

QuoteQuote
Procedural Woods!

yes, total agree!!!

like this:

http://screencast.com/t/qE3iaqVKpp1P

This is very helpful when creating images, for example:

Wood frames, beams, which do not need a high definition, are by far, but it should easily master the direction of the wood grain on all sides, including the section.

Antoine

hello,

I see you have in Keyshot a procedural texture with the material: leather.

Could not you create one for wood?

it would be very useful for architectural renderings!

See my example, thank you.

thank you

Antoine

guest84672

We do have a procedural wood material. It needs some refinement though before we can make it available.

fario

Speedster

Hi guys;
For CG dummies like myself, what the heck is a "procedural"?
Bill G

DriesV

I haven't used "procedural textures" before, but my guess is that they are created by a generative method that uses an algorithm to generate the texture itself and its mapping?

I think they might look more "synthetic", compared to photographed wood textures...

Dries

PhilippeV8

It is my understanding that a precedural texture acts like a real life material.  So instead of having pixels projected on surfaces, it's more like a cloud of pixels and it'll only show the pixels that happen to touch the faces.  This way, if you add a drill hole in a block of wood, the vains in the wood will still be shown perfectly correct.

e.g:

Which is obviously awesome for wood materials with high contrast between the vains and the material in between.  Try taking a freeform 3D human character (like a miniature action figure) and render it such that it looks like carved out of a block of wood ... good luck with that with UV-maps  ;D  With procedural texture, it'll take you 1 second.

DriesV

In that case, I give procedural textures a big, fat +1!!!

Dries

KeyShot

KeyShot already supports quite a few procedural materials. Unfortunately, they cannot be edited at the moment - this is on our todo list. I have attached a simple procedural wood just so you can try it out. The colors and scale are likely to be wrong, but it will give you an idea of how it may look and behave.

fario

Philippe? your sample cube hole is excellent for demonstration, thank you

if you look at my video,(top) you can see that in the software I use, choose IN the scene, the position of the center of the tree ... and direction of the grain.

I hope the wood procedural K4 will do the same.

Another thing, I read that had a procedural textures look a little cartoon.
It's true.

But when architectural scene where the camera is positioned far enough, it can not be seen anymore. Or at least, it is a concession that I am happy.

Thank you for your development.

Antoine

fario

ah yes ... I forgot to mention: the BIG advantage of a procedural texture, it is also never be dependent on a texture mapped photo, therefore, also support very large zoom on the texture without pixelation.

Antoine

PhilippeV8

Quote from: KeyShot on February 21, 2013, 09:57:00 AM
KeyShot already supports quite a few procedural materials. Unfortunately, they cannot be edited at the moment - this is on our todo list. I have attached a simple procedural wood just so you can try it out. The colors and scale are likely to be wrong, but it will give you an idea of how it may look and behave.

How can we scale this ?  Or is that impossible ??

PhilippeV8

Found it.  You need to open the mtl file with wordpad and change the settings in there.
Is it normal that if I change e.g. roughness in KS, it loses the procedural texture ?

So I found out that it does matter which color do your faces have on import.  The more white, the brighter your wood color.

PhilippeV8

This is awesome stuff to play with.

This would be 100 times better if we could tweak it from inside KS ... as Antoine said, with a move/rotate/scale widget and have full control over specularity, translucensy, roughness etc etc .. you know, the usual stuff  ;)

KeyShot

We will make it possible to manipulate procedural materials within KeyShot. It has been on our todo list for quite a while.