Animating materials

Started by 78finn, February 19, 2013, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78finn

I have been using KeyShot for a while, but am not very familiar with the animation side of the program. I used to use 3D Studio Max for all of my animations, but am trying to move away from Max, as its incredibly time consuming and many of the jobs I work on just don't have the budget for such labor intensive programs.

I have been playing around this morning and think I have a good understanding on how to move, rotate objects /cameras etc. But I'm not 100% on what can be done with materials.

Is it actually possible to animate materials in KeyShot (Version 3.3)? An example of something I would like to do would be to make an opaque material get progressively more transparent over time. Is this possible? If so, how do I go about doing it?

Any help / tips would be very much appreciated!

guest84672

This is currently not possible.

78finn

Do you think it is likely to be implemented in future releases of KeyShot? Its a very handy feature/technique.

Are there any work-arounds? Such as hiding an opaque part over a time lapse and unhiding a duplicate part that has a transparent material asigned?

guest84672

We have this on the roadmap for the future. As far the work around goes, yes that is possible. You would need to render it out as separate animations and then composed them in Adobe After Effects.