Creo section view import

Started by jamesg91, February 25, 2013, 06:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesg91

Does anyone know if there is a way to import models from Creo that are shown with sections in the assembly view? I'm stuck for ideas other than manually cutting everything I want in half and leaving the objects I want in full detail, which is very monotonous!

Thanks.

guest84672

This is not supported. You will have to do an assembly cut.

sdesaulles

Could that be an enhancement request please? It would certainly be a very useful feature.

sdesaulles

It certainly would be a good enhancement, although Thomas's suggestion of an assembly cut would be a good workaround good too - if it updated correctly with the plugin.  It seems to take some parts through and omit others, or not just some parts get cut and others don't - manually 'forcing' the update doesn't seem to work either. 

Everything appears correctly in the Creo 3 Assy.

Would be very good to find a reliable solution to this with KS5 and Creo.

guest84672

Try this again with the latest plugin that we released (3.7). This should fix the issue.

NormanHadley

I find that Creo assembly cuts are

a) unreliable - they miss some parts off
b) messy - they leave hole surfaces hanging in space that you then need to hunt down and layer off

and

c) glacially slow

Has anyone found a solution to this? (I know this isn't strictly a Keyshot issue, Thomas, but if we're forced to use assembly cuts to get assembly sections, it's kinda relevant to this forum)

guest84672

Is this after you tried the latest plugin?

NormanHadley

Hi Thomas

I guess my comment is more about the hoops you have to jump through in Creo before you can even export to Keyshot. If you guys ever introduce your own sectioning tool, there will be cheering from the rooftops here because Creo assembly cuts are very resource-hungry.

Coming back to Keyshot itself, I've had a lot of problems with the plugin (including v3.7) missing off random surfaces when used in NURBS mode. The two attached screenshots exemplify the problem. The first is with NURBS on and the back of the subsidiary flange is omitted. Switch NURBS off and ramp up the tessellation and it reappears. I can submit the model (generated in Creo 2.0 so not sure if Chad will be able to read it) if that will help.

Norman

NormanHadley

NB. The strange thing is that the lost surface is perfectly flat - not at all NURBSish, albeit it is bordered by rounds.

James - sorry to hijack your thread  :-[.

guest84672

No problem.If you can supply the model then we can look into the NURBS issue.

NormanHadley

Hi Thomas.

Here are the files. The machined part TM-1-O-0175 is derived from raw casting TM-2-O-0174, itself a thicken from core TM-2-O-0173. As long as you have all three files in one folder, TM-1-O-0175 should open.

Norman

Chad Holton

Thanks for uploading, Norman. I do have Creo 2 and will be able to check it out. I'll let you know what I find out.

Chad