Baking out an HDRI interior from Velux software???

Started by edwardo, February 25, 2013, 05:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardo

Just a thought...

Occasionally I need to do interior shots (or rather product or furniture shots within an appropriate context - a custom interior usually). Often using back plates of interiors and trying to match the HDRI lighting will do just fine, but now and again i basically have to model a 'set' with all the 'props' in it. Whilst keyshot seems to (eventually) handle this with indirect illumination, it takes an age, and defeats the purpose of using this awesome software. What would make my day is if your Velux software could be used to design/model the interior space, import your 'props' as obj's (as it does already) or better still bip files, position your camera then simply bake out an HDRI of the space. Im guessing at least 6 super wide angled shot would have to be stitched together, but i wont pretend to know the technical ins and outs of doing something like this. To compliment this custom HDRI, backplate shots could be rendered in the usual manner i guess, with all lighting corresponding. OR take some backplate photographs of an actual real room then model that room in Velux (setting the sun brightness, time of day etc to match your actual backplate photos)... bake out your HDRI.... voila!

Iv heard of people doing this in maya, others actually put in a virtual mirror ball in the scene and shoot that.

A pipeline like this just seems easier (and cheaper) than photographing an actual interior space and creating an HDRI from something like PTGui or similar.

so go on, make my day

thanks

KeyShot

We might be able to do this. We have seen some requests to add support for loading the files from Velux Visualizer. We may even include some of the daylighting capabilities if there is a need for this.

DriesV

Quote from: KeyShot on February 25, 2013, 09:25:13 PM
We might be able to do this. We have seen some requests to add support for loading the files from Velux Visualizer. We may even include some of the daylighting capabilities if there is a need for this.

I would definitely use the daylighting capabilities if I could. ;)
Btw, Velux Visualizer is truly brilliant in what it does. However, I always wondered why KeyShot doesn't have the Velux viz capabilities... ;D

Dries

edwardo

I confess, I haven't really played about enough with velux vis. Is there currently any means of outputting an HDRI or quicktime cubic VR or something?

Having daylighting capabilities within keyshot would be great, though i would have to import the geometry (which isnt a problem, i just liked the ease of which you could model from scratch, and set up a basic interior in Velux Visualiser).

I love keyshots simplicity, and fear that it one day gets overcomplicated or too 'featureful', but it would be great to see something like this, and would suddenly make keyshot a 'no brainer' piece of kit for interior/spacial designerds, architects, set designers. Product designers like me, will often find it important to do a contextual shot of their design, usually in an indoor (non studio) like scene, to compliment their 'studio' shots of the product

Would be nice not to have to fumble about with V-ray anymore - my brain and it dont really get on  :-\