Main Menu

Webinar audio quality

Started by Arn, March 06, 2016, 11:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn

Not being entirely sure where to put this, I thought writing a post here might be the way to go. I appreciate the  Webinar Master Series Luxion and associates are doing right now, and the webinars in general. There is lots of interesting information and tricks, provided by some of the best people working with Keyshot. Very inspiring. One thing I did notice, however, is that the sound quality sometimes is a let-down. While I do understand that perfect studio quality is not to be expected, there often is a lot of noise and popping (people blowing into the microphone). This detracts from the overall quality of the webinars, which are great otherwise.

Realising it is hard to create and easy to criticize, I did an experiment with just a cheap webcam and some basic software. With some experimentation I was able to produce almost noise free audio. More importantly, correct microphone placement and a little attention to the direct environment eliminated almost all of the unwanted side effects like popping and environment echo. Though I understand that audio quality is not the primary goal, I hope the experiment shows that quite a bit is to be gained.

I must admit I am not aware of Keyshot's constraints regarding time and money when it comes to webinars, so I might be off the mark with my tip. Feel free to ignore this message entirely. I just felt it might be a simple way of making your already great videos just a little bit better.