Main Menu

Kitchen interior

Started by DriesV, March 11, 2013, 03:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

I made this kitchen rendering based on some model from grabcad.
It is primarily an exercise for interior lighting in KS4.

The interior is fully enclosed. There are not open walls or ceilings.

• I used an all-black HDR with one small, very bright pin light to act as a sun to let light in through the single window.
  • For the lights under the cabinets I used an area light for the lamp glow and I applied an IES light to a copy of the lamp geometry, that I translated a bit (x, y) away from the area lights to get the right effect on the wall.
  • I added a large rectangular area light behind the camera to act as a 'fill light'. This helps to flood the scene with light and to significantly decrease render time. A disadvantage to this method is that it takes away the natural appearance of daylight coming in through the window.

I did a bit of postwork in Photoshop to get some glow on the window, add vignetting and do some color tweaking.

** ::)KeyShot development suggestion ::)**
I think the result is pretty convincing, but I do miss some sun/sky parameters to control sun light for interiors.
To some extent it can be done using a pin light to act as the sun, but it is sometimes a pain to get the 'sun' properly oriented. Let alone simulating different daytimes (changing angle of incidence and color temperature).

Dries

DriesV

original KeyShot rendering.

Dries

DriesV

A slightly warmer, more atmospheric version of the same rendering.
Plus, I added some lens blurring using a depth pass.

Dries

DriesV

Another variation, with dusk lighting.

Dries

Despot

Nice Dries, this is a very difficult thing to do with KeyShot without a physical sky system and light portals...

You don't see this kind of stuff being attempted in KS very much, it's the same with exterior sun shots like the one I uploaded not so long ago, which for some reason the KS guys never commented on ???

DriesV

Quote from: biomechanic on March 11, 2013, 10:23:36 AM
Nice Dries, this is a very difficult thing to do with KeyShot without a physical sky system and light portals...

You don't see this kind of stuff being attempted in KS very much, it's the same with exterior sun shots like the one I uploaded not so long ago, which for some reason the KS guys never commented on ???

John, I agree that a sun/sky system would be a lifesaving feature with respect to interior rendering. ;)
I find it quite difficult to get an even quality of lighting when using an HDRI to flood a scene through windows.
It's still heaps of fun though, when it DOES work and gives great results. :)

Dries

guest84672

Looks very nice. We do have a physical sky system developed, but just not exposed.

DriesV

Quote from: Thomas Teger on March 11, 2013, 12:53:49 PM
Looks very nice. We do have a physical sky system developed, but just not exposed.

I reckon the UI isn't ironed out yet?
So a sun/sky system might be something that's coming in a future point or major release?

Dries

guest84672

It may come in a future version or future major release.

tsunami

Hey DriesV..the last one image is going real nice!!!!...I'm following this one thread..i'm real interested in this your work!
Good Job..
Aldo

fario

very nice your work.

I am interested as you, test Keyshot for architectural renderings.

I'll spend a little time on your model for testing.

Antoine

DriesV

Thanks all!

I'm currently running a nighttime rendering in the background (lit 95% by IES lights). I'll post an image when it's finished.
I'll also upload the ksp files of the different daytime scenes, so you can take a look. I hope I'll get some feedback on them. I'm always open to optimizing my scenes. ;D

Dries

DriesV

Kitchen by night.

Dries

fario

Nice atmosphere.

Tell me? do you think I should post on your topic, and test my vision of this scene?

Or should I create a new topic?

or, we could create a topic: kitchen testing

Antoine

DriesV

Here you have it: download links for the KS4 KeyShot scenes...

Kitchen @ noon
Kitchen @ sunny
Kitchen @ dusk
Kitchen @ night

Each zip archive contains:

• KeyShot package file (ksp)
  • PSD file used to create final image
  • Final image

I hope to get feedback from you guys!

note: Antoine, post as you please in this topic if you want. :)

Dries