3ds max and material Ids!

Started by nosaj462, March 21, 2013, 12:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosaj462

Is there anyway for Keyshot to recognize material Ids from max.  Now Im referring to a single manifold mesh with separated out material Id's  not separate elements.  I have tried to export an obj multiple ways and ive used the max plugin to export .BIP's but none seem to retain the materials ID's i set up in max.  Here is a generic example.  Say I have a shirt that is all one single manifold mesh with a multisub obj material applied and I have different material Id's fore the collar and cuffs is there a way for keyshot to recognize this? The only way I know now is to break the object into different elements up but I want to avoid this.  As mentioned I have tried the BIP exp but nothing is being retained in keyshot.  I dont see any difference with exporting with the plugin vs exporting a normal obj.  No matter what I can only apply a material to the entire mesh, not the areas I set up to have different material id's

guest84672

Did you try to import the obj using the two options "Import by Material" vs. "Import by Group"?

nosaj462

I did try both and had no luck.  Is this even possible with keyshot or does it only recognize seperated elements?

guest84672

If you can share an example then we can take a look.

nosaj462

Im going to try a few things tonight and see what I can figure out.  If I cant get anything to work I will provide an example.  what would be the nest way to do that?

nosaj462

Woot!  I figured it out.  The material names were the same in my multi-sub material.  Once I gave them unique names it imported correctly!  =)  Thanks for the help. 

guest84672

ah - great1 Thanks for the update.