Emissive or Light source material? What the difference

Started by rfollett, March 30, 2013, 02:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfollett

guest84672

Light materials are physically correct, taking into consideration scale, power and falloff, while the emissive material is just that: a material that emits light. It is best used for parts that that give the impression to be illuminated such as LEDs, screens etc. The emissive material can be texture mapped as well.

jeffw

To me the light source does not seem physically accurate. As can be seen in these captures. This spherical light source is right above the model with a power of 1000 watts. Its light however just appears as a small spot on the models edge. If a real 1000 watt light were in this position it would broadcast a large even illumination over the object not a small ball of light. The point light has no fall off option and the diffuse light shows up as black. Global illumination is on.

guest84672

You will need to use an area diffuse light to see a large reflection.

jeffw

As I mentioned diffuse light shows up as black. It doesn't matter if visible in reflections is on or off or whether global illumination is on or off.

DriesV

I too have issues with using the area diffuse light to light objects with roughness greater than 0.
Lighting and reflections are OK when roughness is 0, but turn weird when roughness is increased.

Try a roughness of 0 on your part and you should see the light source being reflected properly.

I guess this is a bug in the 4.0.74 build? ???

Dries

guest84672

Yes - and I have already mentioned this in a different post.

jhiker

I think a short tutorial specifically on the new lighting materials and options would be a good idea.

fario

Hello,

QuoteYes - and I have already mentioned this in a different post.

is that it would explain why I have these artifacts in dark areas???

Thank you for your reply.

Antoine