test new hdri for ring

Started by Designer Jewelry, April 11, 2013, 02:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Designer Jewelry

Tell me your comments.

PhilippeV8

It looks as tho the bottom half of the ring is frosted finish or very cold ... doesn't look as crisp as the top half.

Chad Holton

Looking good! Not sure about that type of sparkle though...  :-\

Josh3D

NICE! Agree on the sparkle comment from Chad.

Designer Jewelry

Hi!
i used photoshop added  sparkle on diamond :D And blur half the ring because I want to focus your attention on the top ring.

PhilippeV8

I understand 'bout the blur and the focus ... I figured it may be the case.  How does it look if you do it more gradually ?

hitesh.m

Quote from: Designer Jewelry on April 11, 2013, 09:02:20 AM
Hi!
i used photoshop added  sparkle on diamond :D And blur half the ring because I want to focus your attention on the top ring.

how can get natural sparkle of gem with ks......

how about this attached, no any ps editing yet natural ks rendered....any valuable suggestion for more improvement.........

Ed

Designer Jewelry  -

Has a bit of an illustration quality to it.  That look seems to be popular on many jewelry sites.

As for the sparkle - try Topaz Labs Star Effects.  A lot of people don't like PS plug-in filters, but I like this one for diamond sparkle or highlights/glare on metal edges. 

It seeks out the brightest points in the image and adds your choice of star or sparkle effects.  You adjust the threshold to get the right amount.  By adjusting their sliders you can get a simple glare on metal edges. The key is to go subtle.  I save the Topaz effect as a new layer and turn down the opacity so it's very subtle (much more subtle than their web site examples).

Ed

Ed

hitesh -

Many times the HDR choice and setting used for the ring shank is not ideal for the diamond and vise versa.

The trick is to pick the best HDR for each and create two renders, then combine in Photo Shop.  You can use clown passes to do this, or create two layers and erase the stone to reveal the better stone render underneath.

Diamonds need high contrast, multiple light sources (think of the many small lamps inside a jewelry display case).  Your diamond looks a bit flat.  Try one of the indoor store HDRs that come with KeyShot for the diamond, and whatever currently works for the ring shank.

You can make it work with one HDR if you spend some time editing the HDR, but it may be faster to just make two renders and combine as described above.

Ed

hitesh.m

hi,
thanks for suggesting topaz labes i hope it will work gr8 for me to add sparkels, thanks again but i know tht trick of rendering sepratly n merging in later in ps but i dont know the ps so dont use tht trick.......... :(

Designer Jewelry

Thanks ED!
Your comments absolutely correct. Agreed with you.

fario

Ed?

you have the time to do a tutorial video? step by step.
Personally it would be very useful.

Antoine

Ed

If KeyShot is interested in a video I could make one when I get some free time :)

Here is a render using two different environments:  One for the ring shank, and another for the diamond.
Stacked the layers in Photo Shop and erased the diamond to reveal the sharper, brighter diamond underneath.
A clown pass works well for this also, but for a single stone it's easy to just hit it with the round eraser.

Ed

hitesh.m

its looking awesome!!!!!!! yup for single stone is easy but for many stone or eternity it is too difficult to merge......