Kitchen revisited in KS4

Started by Speedster, April 14, 2013, 05:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

I posted some of my kitchen KS2 renderings several years ago.  Well, my wife wants to continue with the remodel (we've already done a lot of it) and we're chosing cabinet finish.  But this time, I rendered it in in KeyShot 4.  Exact measured model in SolidWorks. 

The only light was a single "diffused area" light applied to the ceiling, and an emissive applied to the bulbs in the frosted glass light fixtures, which look exactly like the real deal.  The environment brightness was set at "0".  The print on the wall is my Miller 91 print, also modeled in SW and rendered in KS.  I placed it as a decal.

I tried to bring in a vertical plane to apply light coming through the window, but without success yet.  It just stayed a black thing and I could not hide it, so I deleted it.  I'll try it again sometime.

Bill G

Despot

Very nice Bill, a tad dark for me but well done all the same...

For interior sunlit shots I understand Luxion provide a free product called Velux Daylight Visualiser - I've toyed with the idea of using it myself but I'm unsure as to whether or not it allows you full access to KS's material system or if it has reduced functionality in that area

J

DriesV

Bill, I always love a good interior attempt. ;)

With regards to that window glitch...
Is your window by any chance of the 'Solid Glass' material type?

See my attached image to see the different behavior of area light behind solid and basic glass materials.

Dries

Josh3D

Lovely Bill! Nice project. I've always wanted to do the same. The fridge texture in the second one looks a little odd--texture scale possibly.

Speedster

I noticed that too, Josh.  Puzzling, in that nothing changed except the camera angle.  But the tiling is very obvious in the 2nd image.

On another note, the bip crashed suddenly when I changed the light intensity, and when I reopened it about half of the model had disappeared, and the rest was all lit with the light.  The materials were all there by name, but showed up in the tree thumbnails as black balls.  That model is toast now, but I honestly think it was simply too old, being originally in KS2, which may also explain the strange behaviour of the vertical ground plane as a light source.  I'm going to start from scratch just to check it out.

Bill G

feher

I'm really liking this Bill. The first image is the better of the two.
I think you can push this even more with your lighting.
Keep up the great work.
Tim