Water Caustic Animations

Started by multitech, April 22, 2013, 07:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

multitech

Hi Guys,

I found this software that generates water caustic (reflection) texture maps.  It's nice because the maps are also seamless.  My texture maps are little repetitive because of the smaller low res exports on the free version.

I had to change the pool bottom texture map for each rendering so HD resolutions with 30 fps or more might be a real pain to wait for each render to process.  But this little 10 second 1 fps test was easy enough.  Turned out pretty cool.  I don't know what else a person would use this software for, but anyone working with water renderings might be able to make use of it.

Check it out: http://www.dualheights.se/caustics/

I probably should have changed my environment since the static tree reflections on the water surface don't go well with the pool bottom reflections.  I'll have to make new bump maps for the water surface.

Mike   8)

PhilippeV8

Don't change the environement, change the top water bumpmap !  It'll make the reflection move as well.

multitech

Added a bump map to the water surface.  I'm glad this is only a 10 frame animation.  It would get old changing two texture maps per frame if it was longer!     ;)

Mike

PhilippeV8

multitech

Funky is a good word to describe it.   ;D 

I think the water surface is a little choppy.  Plus the low frame rate doesn't help.

Mike

PhilippeV8

Yeah but this does show potential ... if only to show off a property on a realtors website.  Just something more fun than just a static picture .. add a moving sky effect and you're done.  People think it's a webcam  :P