Auto perspective for backplate rendering

Started by nmeyer, April 24, 2013, 01:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmeyer

We do alot of backplate renderings that show our custom products in the customers environment. VERY powerful sales tool! It would be nice if somehow the software could decipher all of the camea settings used for taking the backplate image and auto adjust the camera settings within keyshot to match.  I spend alot of time trying to adjust the camera settings to match the backplate.  Just a thought.

Ed

nmyer -

It sounds like you want something that works along the lines of match move tracking software use in video editing software, where the camera & lens parameters are set based on analysis of the reference image.

See:
http://vimeo.com/63111751

I think this would be a great feature, and simpler to implement in KS because the back plate is static.

Ed

nmeyer

Thanks for the reply Ed.  What an intersting video.  I am not familiar with video editing software so that was pretty eye opening for me.  If KS could implement a similar simplified feature what a difference that would make. Not only for time savings aspect but also the quality.  Its always a guessing game as to wheather or not you have the perspecitve,camera tilt, etc. set right.

Speedster

Have you tried using the "Ground Grid" capability?  It's a life saver when setting up focal length and perspective.  It's at the bottom of the Environment tab.
Bill G

nmeyer

Wow.  I never even considered that was what that feature was for!  I feel like an idiot.  Either way what a difference that makes!  Thanks speedster.

Speedster

No such thing as an idiot!  We learn by sharing. 

Speaking of which- I also use a lot of very low angles which make the ground grid almost disappear into the horizontal.  So I did up several "Vertical Grids" in SolidWorks, and place them in the top assembly just behind and parallel to the model, and much bigger than the model.  It's just a box grid, not on a plane or surface- like a trellis in your back yard.  Then in KS I have a (usually white) vertical grid reference to use against the backplate.  Works in conjunction with the ground grid.  Just hide it before rendering!

This would be a great KS feature!

Bill G