Main Menu

Metal stuff

Started by DriesV, April 30, 2013, 05:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

This is part of a project I'm currently working on.
What you see are the bottom parts of the connection arrangement for our LST radiator (low surface temperature).

Many thanks to John Seymour for hooking me up and getting me started with an awesome brass/copper material. Thanks, John! ;)

HDRI used is standard, unaltered KeyShot library HDRI. All materials (except copper pipe) use standard KeyShot textures.
For the threads on the brass end tap I used the insanely effective "thread_norm.jpg" normal map. Great job on that one, Luxion!

I hope you like it. :)

Dries

Chad Holton

Looking good, Dries!  8)

Despot

Nice one Dries... the brass looks really effective - great modelling by the way

regards

J

DriesV

Thanks! ;)

Here's a shot of the complete arrangement with TRV head fitted on top.

Dries

tsunami

Stunning results Dries..material and textures are looking good..and second one is awesome..

DriesV

Thanks, Aldo.

Btw, anyone out there with a good textured material for galvanized coatings (hot-dip and/or electroplated) WITHOUT the typical spangle (crystal-like flaking)? ::)

Something like this:

keaneray

As always very impressive Dries.

Would it be possible to share that brass/copper material or pass on John contact details so I could ask? I work in the refrigeration industry and use a lot of copper tube and fittings, so that material would really benefit.

Ray

DriesV

Quote from: keaneray on April 30, 2013, 01:17:49 PM
As always very impressive Dries.

Would it be possible to share that brass/copper material or pass on John contact details so I could ask? I work in the refrigeration industry and use a lot of copper tube and fittings, so that material would really benefit.

Ray

Glad you like it, Ray! ;)

As to the brass/copper material of the pipes: I can't share the texture that I used as it is courtesy of John. Maybe you can send him a very nice PM? ::)

In the meantime...
Maybe you can try fiddling with these textures. They look pretty good for a plain colored, yet not perfectly finished brass material. It can be easily turned into copper in KeyShot by blending the color texture with orange.

I do acknowledge that metal materials can be very tricky to make. Especially the ones that appear quite rough in dim light, yet appear quite specular when exposed to a bright light source, yet always have very blurred reflections. Does that make sense? ??? Something like the metallized solid brass cast parts in the images...

Dries

guest84672

Excellent work - as always!

keaneray

QuoteMaybe you can try fiddling with these textures. They look pretty good for a plain colored, yet not perfectly finished brass material. It can be easily turned into copper in KeyShot by blending the color texture with orange.

Thanks Dries. I'll have a play with those textures and see what I come up with, cheers! I'll contact John aswel to see if he would be so kind to share that material.

Jeff Hayden

Great work as always Dries.

Despot

Dries

Here is my Galvanised Steel... but I'm afraid it shows the flaky bits (I think)

Anyway, here's a link to the file... I'm not sure where this is from, it might be from a collection I made a while back or it could be from elsewhere...

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?x9b80r5tu50xab1

If it's not what you require, then post some images of what non-flaky galvanised metal is...

J

DriesV

John,

Yes, that's the typical galvanized coating with crystallite spangle. ;)

You can see some examples of what I'm looking for below.

Dries

DriesV

Also this more reflective version for nuts and bolts. ;)

Dries

Despot

OK, I can see the images, but I can't get a handle on what defines a non-spangly galvanised look...

To my untrained eye, it just looks like slightly dirty, greasy metal - although in most of the images you've posted I can still see some evidence of Crystallization...

J