Main Menu

Metal stuff

Started by DriesV, April 30, 2013, 05:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

It's sort of a matte blueish gray look. Not entirely smooth to the touch too. Also subtle irregularities in color (tint/blueish hue), specularity and roughness.
Overall it appears quite blue and matte in daylight. Daylight accentuates subtle surface irregularities.

Does that help? ???
I'm going to investigate this some further later today. :P

Dries

Despot

I could play forever finding the correct combination of bump and diffuse - but unfortunately at the moment for me, time is at a premium

So here is the same material I've built rendered under different lighting conditions (different HDRI)

I don't think It's quite there, but it looks OK to me and even if it doesn't pass muster for this project, you could probably use it in another

J

DriesV

Some early results in my quest for a good non-spangle galvanized material.
Both a rough and shiny version. The two materials are pretty much identical, except for roughness, texture brightness/contrast and bump height.
I'm using the advanced material type, mainly for control over IOR.

I'm pretty happy with it. The material shows all the irregularities within the coating surface, yet has no spangles. :)

note: model is some frame assembly from grabcad.

Dries

Josh3D

It's like a mini "Best Galvanized Metal Appearance" contest... you are both WINNING.

PhilippeV8

edwardo

winning like charlie sheen?

Despot

Are you willing to share that mat Dries  ;)

J

DriesV

John, it's basically an adaptation of your brass material. I shifted hue, turned down saturation, flattened color variation. I made a bump map based on the diffuse map.
So... am I allowed to share this material? ???

Dries

Despot

Ah... I didn't realise that was case Dries - thought you'd used your own maps for this - I would rather you didn't share this publicly...

J

DriesV

The same galvanized coating material on an electric motor assembly (grabcad model).
1 material, 2 different environments.

Dries

pionier

that is looking amazing guys!

guest84672

Fantastic. Is there any way for you to share the materials with us so we can include them with the next update of KeyShot?

DriesV

Glad you like it! ;)

Quote from: Thomas Teger on May 14, 2013, 01:12:10 PM
Fantastic. Is there any way for you to share the materials with us so we can include them with the next update of KeyShot?
The galvanized material is a derivative of John Seymour's brass/copper material. Since he has decided to share his material publicly, I should be able to do the same with the galvanized coating material.

I'll upload a ksp file of that electric motor scene tomorrow morning...

Dries

guest84672

If you want to send it directly to me - thomas@luxion.com - then I can collect them and include them in the next update.

BTW - what size are the textures and what is the dpi on those?

Despot

Dries, if the .ksp uses the bump map that was in the file that I sent you only, then I don't want it sharing. If it includes one that was derived from the diffuse or the bump map that was included with the package that I shared publicly then that's fine...

J