Tips for darker Ground Shadows

Started by Speedster, May 02, 2013, 04:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

Thought this may be of interest and help to some of our new users.  All KeyShooters dream of being able to control the density (darkness) of ground shadows. Maybe someday, but for now, here's a trick to get independent control of ground shadows.  Thomas gave me this tip during the last webinar.

We usually render as TIFF's with alpha, but we almost always use a white background, which results in a (usually) grey shadow depending on your HDRI.  Instead, render as a TIFF with alpha against a BLACK background.  Result is a dark high density shadow.  There is still a small white component but that's easily removed in post.

The step-by-step below shows the process, for a new series of prints I'm working on featuring my "Model T Collection".  Note that the full-color clown pass was created automatically in KS4 Pro.  The single color clown was painted on a duplicate model in the Scene Tree.  I always do this now.  All post in Photoshop CS5.  Be sure to link the layers!!

Bill G

sevenlo

Heys sir sorry for my newbie question. How did you separate the model from the shadow? thanks for this post btw :D

Speedster

No problem! 

Start by importing the full clown pass into Photoshop. Do nothing to the layer!  Note that the full clown is used only for isolating areas and materials, and there are several other automatic passes available in KS4. Note also that my purple clown (2nd row, right) can be any flat color. 

Then, use the (Photoshop) "Place" command to insert the "TIFF; Clown + Black" pass, 2nd row, right.  Do nothing else yet!  Then use Place to insert your beauty shot.  Duplicate the beauty shot.  (actually, I always duplicate a layer before working on it)  LINK all the layers!!!

Now, use the Magic Wand and select the purple colored clown area on the purple + shadow layer, move up and activate the (copied) beauty shot, and delete the model, leaving only the shadow on this layer.  Now duplicate the shadow layer, Magic Wand the model on the purple clown layer and use "Select Inverse", then delete the shadow. 

Now you should have the model standing alone on its own layer, and ditto the shadow.  LINK all layers!!!  Now you can easily control the transparency of the shadow.

Hope this is clear, and helps...

Bill G

sevenlo

Very clear :D thank you so much! this will surely help me a lot :D