Braided Metal Hose Material

Started by edwardo, May 07, 2013, 04:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardo

Hi, please help your self to the texture and bump maps i made for a flexible braided metal hose material. If anyones interested i can post the PSD file with layers allowing you to fudge about a bit more - just ask

Enjoy

Ed

TpwUK

Nice .. Thanks for sharing

Martin

keaneray

Just what I was looking for, thanks Ed. The PSD file would be great if you get a chance.

Ray

jhiker

Thanks - that's really nice.

Can I ask what mapping mode you used? I'm using it on a model of a simple torus and the only mapping mode that gives anything like a reasonable image is 'Box Mapping' - even then, there's a rather obvious transition between the 'top' & 'sides' of the 'box' (highlighted in yellow). I just can't get it to look as good as yours :-)

Also what material did you have on there before applying the colour and bump maps?
Many thanks.

edwardo

Hi Jhiker, your welcome. For material settings see attached...

I used UV mode, which may or may not work on your taurus. In most cases i would imagine this texture would be applied to hoses, and in most cases they (hoses) would be modelled by extruding a circle around a curve and the UV's will be OK. So basically it depends what the geometry and UV's of your taurus is like. UV mode should be ok in most cases though.

Its worth noting that I did this in KS3. I opened the bip in KS4 trial and it looked slightly different (I think.... might just be the watermarks?)

Ed

jhiker

Hi Ed,
That's really helpful. I'll try a 'snake' tomorrow.
Many thanks!

keaneray

I'm having the same problem as jhiker. I used UV coordinates which works well on the top and bottom of my vibration eliminator model, but then it becomes stretched on the sides. I tried playing with box map, but it doesn't look as good.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Mod brass/copper material courtesy of biomechanic

jhiker

mmmmmm....
I tried this in KSv4 with a 30mm diameter 'snake' modelled in Geomagic/Alibre.
Box mapping showed a very unsatisfactory pattern and UV co-ordinates' didn't show any thing at all.
This could be useful for me and I'd like to get this right. Has anybody had success using these maps with KS4 and would you care to offer any tips?
Thanks

jhiker

It's another of those things that ..'nearly work but not quite...'

UV mapping shows nothing at all for me in either KS3 or KS4

Trouble is, I don't know whether the problem is caused by the model geometry (Geomagic) or the mapping routine (Keyshot) <sigh>

Arian Shamil

Edwardo thanks a ton for this info and materials! I like it so much! :)

GokhanB

thank you very much for nice metal textures..I want to use for carbon-fibre texture creating...