Dirt/Grime layer using labels

Started by Despot, May 09, 2013, 08:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

Never used labels much before, but I got the idea for this after seeing a couple of threads, one of which was the clear coat label trick - I could be wrong and 99.999% of the time I am... but I don't think I've seen labels being used in this exact way.

I got to thinking that it should be possible to create the illusion of a multi-layer material, which I have enjoyed in other render packages and sorely missed in KeyShot. By multi-layer, I mean the ability to use a greyscale mask to blend two different materials.

The left image is just diffuse and a very slight bump, the right has the label applied and as you can see, because the specular for the label has been left at black, the dirt has zero reflection

The grime map was knocked up in Photoshop and saved as a 24Bit PNG with transparency, although for this one I didn't, you could blur the map slightly for a softer blend of the dirt.

Anyway I'm going to continue experimenting and see what i can come up with

J

edwardo

Thanks, nice!

This could be great for adding major scuffs / scratches / rust spots to otherwise shiny parts. And because its labels i guess I could place them all individually? It would be nice to be able to add bump maps with labels too

Ed

feher

Nice, been using this technique on a few things in the past. The secret is out....lol
Thanks for sharing !
Tim

Despot

Thanks and yes it would be great id you could have bump maps as labels Edwardo...

Thanks Tim, yeah no doubt people know about it but probably don't use it much (or show it in the forums)

Anyway here's another...

Steel with oily fingerprints - the fingerprints were added using labels

CAClark

The finger prints work especially well!

Cheers!

Despot

Thanks...

Here's another - DuPont paint with chips and dents

Managed to get it so the dent layer (label) has is recessed slightly to get that chipped look...

edwardo

eh????

How did you do that? Thats what I was on about before... being good if a bump could be added to labels too.

Have you just added a dark surrounding 'glow' to each chip in your png file? Fancy sharing the file (or package)?

Im very intrigued, nice work
Ed

PS i like the 70's ground plane materials youv been using lately

Despot

There's no glow effect or Photoshop trickery - its just a bump map made from the label map with the 'chips' being grey-scale to black on a white background, blurring the bump slightly helps the illusion... Obviously you've got to ensure that the bump scale and label scale match and that for both you use Box Mapping (or whatever map type you choose to use) with 'repeat' turned on.

Oh, I also blended one of my scratch textures into the bump map for some dings and scratches on the paint - sorry I can't share this file, but I will do another similar one and upload it.

The 70's ground plane maps are Truchet Tiles... I have a huge library of them, when I get a chance I'll share some of those as well.

J

edwardo

Ahhh, i see.... clever

The only down side to that process is that only one of the labels attached to a material can correspond to the bump map!? I liked the thought of having independent control over where to place (and rotation/size/specular) each chip / rust spot / fingerprint (as we can apply unlimited amounts of labels). Heres hoping the KS team develop the 'labels' functionality to include bumping, or better still displacement  :P

however, very nice results indeed - thanks for the knowledge sharing
Ed

ps I'm new(ish) to all things 3d, but a vet within 2d packages so more interested in processes and pipelines rather than finished texture maps. But i have to say your metal finishes are second to none, with lovely patina qualities. Im guessing most of your hard work is done in photoshop. Its really helpful for me to be able to see these maps in 2d form and reproduce them to my own needs. So.....ta - most grateful for anything you have to share!

feher

GREAT samples ! I think your title on the fourms should "Metal Master"
This is a perfect example of making the software work for you.
It's a keeper in my book.
TIm

Despot

QuoteThe only down side to that process is that only one of the labels attached to a material can correspond to the bump map!?

Yeah, the downside is if you use 'normal projection' to place labels manually, then you cannot match the bump map.

Quoteor better still displacement

Hmm, don't think I'd like displacement to be a part of KS, it would add a considerable render overhead I think... found that with MW

QuoteBut i have to say your metal finishes are second to none, with lovely patina qualities. Im guessing most of your hard work is done in photoshop

Thanks very much, yes, it does require a lot of PS work...

QuoteGREAT samples ! I think your title on the fourms should "Metal Master"
This is a perfect example of making the software work for you.
It's a keeper in my book.

Thanks Tim... do you know I might just do that... 'Metal Master' sounds cool - is it possible to change your forum handle ?

Cheers

J

edwardo

yes, you can change your forum name. I recently changed to Edwardo. Soon, just to mix it up a little, i may well become Edwina  :-*

Despot

Ok, so here's a KSP of a revised Dented Paint material with maps that I could freely distribute... Unfortunately I cannot bundle the HDRI, so the scene file in the package uses a standard KS preset.

Just remember to keep 'sync' active as the label settings should match the bump settings for everything to work ok.

Enjoy

J

Chad Holton

Looks great - thanks for sharing the material!