getting rid of these seams?

Started by powspows, May 10, 2013, 06:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powspows

Hi I'm trying to render a character and i can't seem to get rid of these texture seams... any help? I set the type as translucent but if i set it in diffuse, the seams disappears but i don't want that since i want to get the SSS effect on the translucent setting...

also even if i render it doesn't disappear

thanks in advance.

edwardo

Hi, yes I was getting these too with figures (and their maps) exported from DAZ (see the shoulder lines in the attached image). Obviously something to do with SSS. I did notice that it has nothing to do with parts in keyshot, more to do with a change in texture maps. For example, an arm and a hand are separate parts in KS, but since they share the same texture and bump maps, the problem doesnt seem to arise!!? Where as, when the arms meet the torso the problem arises as both parts have separate texture maps.

I am going to open the texture map in photoshop and use the clone tool to try and add some bleed to the edges. I dont think it will help though.

Can anyone enlighten me?

edwardo

and now the image...

KeyShot

Right now the translucent material requires the same material to be applied to all parts of the model to allow for subsurface scattering between different parts. We can look into relaxing this requirement.

powspows

ahh ok i see, i will just have to postwork the finished render then and edwardo if you don't mind me asking what settings did you use to get that look on the skin?

mikeglw

This is just a model for a product rendering, but the seams were pretty fugly.

I seemed to have gotten rid of them by editing the surface color. Too much green.

mikeglw

Just an update...

KS 5 skin texture does the same thing, seams between the parts of the model.

I haven't been able to verify the same thing I did in 4.3 in version 5 because KS 5 crashes
right after trying to save the edited texture.

But in 4.3 the final render turned out nice after adjusting the texture scale.

Has anyone else tried this in KS 4 or 5?

mikeglw

Update #2

I tried the skin material on a second human model that I edited and saved from the first,
model and got seams. So saving the material and re-applying it doesn't work.

Editing the skin texture outside surface worked for this model also. I cut the green down to 56.

The steps I took were, apply the skin texture to the model, then picked a section and edited the
green color to 56. I then saved the texture under a new name. Then I applied the color from my
materials window ( not the library ) to the other parts of the body.  No seams.

Attached is the screen shot.

mikeglw

OK, one more post in this bizarre behavior of the skin texture...

So, once I have edited the texture and gotten rid of the green, I
decided to try the stock skin texture again on the model.

And as you can see by the picture on the right, no seams. But, it's
because the body is now acting as one piece.

I can still select separate pieces of the body model, but when I apply
the stock skin texture to one part, it effects all the pieces.

You can still see some green from a seam at the top of her hips, that's
the seam between the selected and edited parts of the body and a part
that I hadn't applied skin materials to.

mikeglw

I perhaps was not totally clear on the steps I took to get rid of the seams..

So here goes..

1. Applied the stock skin texture from the library to the models individual parts.

2. I picked one part of the model with the stock skin texture and edited the surface color.
    I reduced the green selection of the colors to 56, and it doesn't matter what you adjust that to.
    I adjusted it down to make it red enough so that the edited skin texture was different enough
    from the stock skin texture in the project windows materials catalog. So I knew which one it was basically..

3. I then applied the color altered skin texture from my project windows texture catalog and applied it to the model.
    And as you do that you will notice that the green seams disappear. Saving the edited skin texture to the library
    turns out to be a unnecessary step.

After doing that, you can then drag and drop the stock skin texture, or any custom skin texture onto the model and it won't
have seams, so I presume because the parts are now texture linked..

mikeglw

Here is a test rendering from KS 5 with HDR environment. I have to see if I can improve on the tessellation with this model
But since it's a model I got off of GrabCAD, I don't know if I can do much. She'll be seen at a distance so it might
not be a big deal..

The skin texture seems kinda oily in the HDR lighting environment though.. any suggestions on making it more silky..

Rex

Hey Mike, looks like you could increase the translucency. Remember you can always type in a value larger than the slider allows. perhaps a little more roughness as well?

mikeglw

powspows

@Mike im still kinda confused on following the instructions you put, can you do a tutorial step by step with images please :D? when you said you edited the surface color did you mean this one? http://i.gyazo.com/7b3662d0a8c667b14a251195068ed596.png

rickfoxxx

Already there is any solution for those seam lines on translucent materials?