New issue needing help

Started by dnelson, July 15, 2010, 10:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnelson

I'm trying out the keyshot 2 demo.  (KeyShot 1 was a bust because it wouldn't render my bigger files.  Now I'm having license issues on 2...)

Keyshot 2 will import my STP files, but it will change the part sometimes.

Here is a coupling, BIP format

And here it is in STP

So easy fix right?  use BIP.  well thats part of a larger assembly.

The larger file imports alright in STP format, but has the part malformed

When i try to import the same assembly in BIP, I get a "Can Not Parse xxxx.bip" error notice.

So whats the fix?

Ralf-S

With what application you create your STEP files?

dnelson

Alibre Pro 12.1 (most recent upgrade w/ keyshot 2 export )

Ralf-S

So easy fix right? 

So whats the fix?

I would send the Alibre file to: support @ alibre.com

dnelson

Quote from: Ralf-S on July 19, 2010, 06:51:43 AM
So easy fix right? 

So whats the fix?

I would send the Alibre file to: support @ alibre.com

The easy fix would be to use BIP export.  that's the whole reason for alibre upgrade.  But with my larger file only the stp (which renders wrong) will import into keyshot.  The BIP on larger files has a Parse error.

I tried contacting Alibre support, they don't reply, even the so called live support is never online.  It's kinda stupid I paid for the maintenance package to have such support.  Other then to have keyshot 2.  Which I got screwed on the license for. 

This forum seems the only place i can get response.  (KeyShot support doesn't reply to emails either)

Ralf-S

I think it's a problem with the generated native CAD "geometry".
Please take a look: http://forum.alibre.com/
There you can post your native Alibre file and a lot of "experienced" Alibre users can help. ;)

dnelson

my file is large assembly composed of many other assemblies and muany more parts, too much to post

Ralf-S

Quote from: dnelson on July 19, 2010, 09:01:42 AM
my file is large assembly composed of many other assemblies and muany more parts, too much to post

Your file shown above is sufficient to check, probably no larger than a few, 3-4 MB. (*.zip or 7.z)

dnelson

well that was only one part tho...   this parsing error is in the larger file, if i send an assembly i have to send all the containing parts right?

Max

QuoteI tried contacting Alibre support, they don't reply, even the so called live support is never online.  It's kinda stupid I paid for the maintenance package to have such support. 

Not sure what you are referring to because our records show that we've responded to each of your cases over the last few months. I do not show a case for you contacting us regarding a parsing issue, or any BIP issue for that matter.

The BIP Exporter in Alibre Design uses the exact geometry on the screen - what you see is what you get. Unlike the STEP translator, which can occasionally change the geometry around. The problem is likely on the KeyShot end, but could possibly be on the Alibre end as well. Step 1 would be to send us your file, through Support.

Max @ Alibre

dnelson

The last 5 times i tried on line "live" support the was no rep on the other end.  I don't even bother now.  As far as email, I've only emailed for billing questions.  Because I've found in the past it takes too long to get responses by email, technical or otherwise, and usually I don't have time to wait on a response for technical help, If live support is down, I go to web for faq's and forums, or try to fix the problem myself, or try 30 other ways to do the same thing till one works.

And no, you didn't get word from me on parsing or BIP issues, i came here first, figuring it was a Keyshot issue not alibre.  I probably would hit up the alibre forum next.

Even though getting technical help / customer service is a frustrating process, It's not my real issue...

http://www.purdybilt.com/2in Coupling.AD_PRT

That's the part above.  If you can figure out why it distorts in a STP file, then I can probably utilize the larger project with STP because keyshot will import the STP. 

But fixing that (or if there is no fix) won't solve the parsing error with the larger BIP file (if it's even a size issue).  However, that set of files is proprietary, I can't post that on the forum.  Is there an address I can send the files directly to?

Quote from: Max on July 19, 2010, 10:55:18 AM
QuoteI tried contacting Alibre support, they don't reply, even the so called live support is never online.  It's kinda stupid I paid for the maintenance package to have such support. 

Not sure what you are referring to because our records show that we've responded to each of your cases over the last few months. I do not show a case for you contacting us regarding a parsing issue, or any BIP issue for that matter.

The BIP Exporter in Alibre Design uses the exact geometry on the screen - what you see is what you get. Unlike the STEP translator, which can occasionally change the geometry around. The problem is likely on the KeyShot end, but could possibly be on the Alibre end as well. Step 1 would be to send us your file, through Support.

Max @ Alibre

Ralf-S

- Download your file.
- Saved
- Open your file with Alibre V12.1 ( current version) 
- Export -> *.bip
- Open with KS V 2.0.46
- No problem

Snapshot -> 20 sec.
*.bip file as att.

dnelson

Ralf-S

You mean STEP (AP 203 / 214) or *.stp ?

dnelson

Quote from: Ralf-S on July 19, 2010, 01:16:36 PM
You mean STEP (AP 203 / 214) or *.stp ?

I don't think it matters, i think the same error occurs, in Alibre Step, AP203 or AP 214...

But I usually use 214.