Rounded edges where they're not wanted

Started by MarkAB, May 22, 2013, 07:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAB

Hi all.

After a recommendation from a friend, I downloaded the trial version of the 64 bit version of Keyshot (4.0.74). I hit a problem after the very first import.

I have a couple of self-created models in .OBJ format, all of which have straight, flat edges and corners. However, when I import these into Keyshot, all the edges appear to be rounded. As far as I know, I haven't messed with any setting which may affect this. For example, the "Rounded Edges/Experimental" settings have been left at the default values of Radius = 0 and Minimum Edge Angle = 30.

Here's a download link to a simple cube I made, which should have flat, straight edges, but appears curved in Keyshot:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike1962/sample.rar

What am I missing?

KeyShot

The obj file does not include any normal information, so KeyShot automatically computes smooth normals, which in this case gives the appearance of rounded edges. We are looking into maintaining the sharp edges for models like this.

MarkAB

Thank you for the reply. I was a little confused as the models I created seemed to work find in some of my other 3D software.