KeyShot 4.1 Beta - Caustics tests

Started by DriesV, May 22, 2013, 12:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

I just saw the KS 4.1 beta sample images from the Metal Master himself and I felt like sharing some of my own.

I've been experimenting primarily with the new focussed caustics that work with any material and light source (HDRI, point light, area light...).
Focussed caustics is seriously good stuff! This is a feature I've been longing for since I first started using KeyShot.
I'm pretty sure you will like this feature just as much as I do. ;)

I think it will prove invaluable to anyone rendering jewelry, glassware, liquids, lighting fixtures... you name it...
Like the images below show, they enable you to literally paint your scene with light. So cool.
Check this VR to see what I mean by 'painting with light':
KeyShot 4.1 - Caustics showcase in light box VR

Description of images:
All images are screenshots from the realtime render window.
All images feature a 'light box'. It's a shelled cube with one open side. There's a slot in the left-hand wall to let light through.

IMAGE 1
Very dim HDRI light (<0,05). There is one bright point light to the left of the box. This light is the primary light source and creates a striped light through the slot. There's another (dimmer) point light in front of the box's open side to act a fill light.
The striped light gets reflected on, refracted and dispersed through a Gem prism (Abbe number 10).

IMAGE 2
Same scene and set-up, but with a colored wall and DOF.

IMAGE 3
This is a seriously underlit scene!
There is but one point light shooting light through the slot and illuminating the box's inside. So there's no HDRI lighting, no fill light to the front.
The big centered sphere is 24k polished gold. The right-hand smaller spheres are polished Platinum. The left-hand spheres have the Gem material applied to them: IOR 1.5, Abbe number = 15.

Dries

DriesV

Another little light painting. ;)

Dries

tsunami

Heyyyyy caustics are working good !! i see....good work Driesv

guest67048

DriesV

Here's another light box shot.
There's an additional 12000k color point light behind the golden sphere.

Dries

edwardo

This is gonna be great...
looking forward to seeing some nice glassware shots soon. Wont be long before some clever-clogs has mimicked the dark side of the moon album cover

Despot

My favourites are the prismatic ones, very nice...

Now we need the ability to do volume caustics - they are gorgeous but very elusive  ;)

J

Chad Holton

Josh3D

DriesV

Quote from: edwardo on May 23, 2013, 05:07:20 AM
Wont be long before some clever-clogs has mimicked the dark side of the moon album cover

Hmm... what a great suggestion that was! ;D

Dries

Ruckus

Awesome!  "Great Gig in the Sky" is wailing through my brain as I type this.

edwardo

Somehow I knew you'd be that clever-clogs, Mr Dries  ;)   nice job

Clogs.... are you Dutch?

DriesV

Quote from: edwardo on May 23, 2013, 07:45:01 AM
Somehow I knew you'd be that clever-clogs, Mr Dries  ;)   nice job

Clogs.... are you Dutch?

Nope, Belgian.
From the Flemish part.

Dries

DriesV

Now that I take a closer look at that 'DSotM tribute' image...
That one really has it all: external reflections, internal reflections, refractions, dispersion...
And all with realistic light energy decay in the right places.

Dries

DriesV

Another shot with a great model from grabcad.

Dries