Main Menu

Porsche 921 - WIP

Started by yotah1, May 31, 2013, 02:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsunami

Nice work yotah,!I read you are working with Alias,(uhuhu how much painfull is working with?)so i suppose you did with Class A Surface..i'm working on automotive "sector", so i know Alias, and his usage;but whi u didn't do with Catia V4 (unix os), it's more simple to use and friendly. Class A surface are made for real production product..that's needs it.
so it's mean all surfaces that a consumer normally seescan be considered class A surface. The outside of a an automotive floor console would be class A, but the inside surfaces which normally include manufacturing flanges and attaching surfaces would be class B.QUALITY - refers to surface topology. Position, tangency, and curvatureacross surface boundries, and internal patch structure.
Regards

yotah1

I've been working as a car designer for 3 years now, so I'm quite familiar with Class A surfaces  ;D

I used Alias because that's the one I know how to use, and I've never used Catia in my life. And given that now I can quite quickly get my model done, and do it properly, I don't see the point of spending time learning a new software.

tsunami

Quote from: yotah1 on June 09, 2013, 03:55:55 AM
I've been working as a car designer for 3 years now, so I'm quite familiar with Class A surfaces  ;D

I used Alias because that's the one I know how to use, and I've never used Catia in my life. And given that now I can quite quickly get my model done, and do it properly, I don't see the point of spending time learning a new software.
i was just curious ;)and i asked about Alias,because i know it well,and i know also that is not easy if someone is not familiar with it;.....

Despot

Beautiful... I love the first rear shot in what looks like gun metal grey...

Would you be able to divulge which Du Pont paint you used, if indeed you did ?

Also, did you use a standard HDR image that ships with KS ?

Cheers

J

yotah1

It's not a DuPont paint (I had a look at these, but you can't customize them, so for me, that's just plain stupid and useless). It's a metallic paint, customized.

HDR is one of the standard studios included in KS (don't remember the name of it, it's in the last 10 in the list...)

Josh3D

So cool to see the progression of this Anthony. Porsche would be silly not to hire you :) posted to our Facebook page.

yotah1

I've just re-done the headlamps design, currently updating my render. i'll post it asap :)

Thanks for the post on the FB page!

tsunami

Quote from: yotah1 on June 09, 2013, 08:54:09 AM
It's not a DuPont paint (I had a look at these, but you can't customize them, so for me, that's just plain stupid and useless). It's a metallic paint, customized.

HDR is one of the standard studios included in KS (don't remember the name of it, it's in the last 10 in the list...)
i agree too,Dupont colors are fantastic,but not customizable (i don't understand this)..so sometime i would like..

yotah1

degruch

Quote from: yotah1 on June 09, 2013, 08:54:09 AM
It's not a DuPont paint (I had a look at these, but you can't customize them, so for me, that's just plain stupid and useless)

That's because they're DuPont colours...why would you want to customize them?

yotah1

Because the range is not big enough ...

Ryno

Were the sketches posted on Simkom a while back? I feel like I've seen them before. I always liked the sketches, but seeing it in 3D with accurate proportions is great; it really is a very pretty car. I'd love for Porsche to bring out a 944 successor.

Great work!

zpaolo

This is an impressive model, and impressive renders too. NURBS is the way I like to do mechanical models, I know nowadays everyone in the VFX industry uses subdivision surfaces, that are good for their flexibility and ease of "sculpt" but if you have a design idea, and a clear design intent, starting from curves and building with NURBS is the most robust path. There's always a debate about what software to use: "why didn't you use NX, why didn't you use Catia, why not Alias"... in the end it all comes down to what you are more comfortable with as Yotah1 said (I use CREO Parametric for mechanical modeling, because I know it and I feel comfortable with it :D ).

Paolo

Speedster

In my opinion, the problem with not being able to tweak the DuPont paints is that they are so highly dependent on the HDR.  Perhaps several "DuPont Optimized" HDRI's would be helpful, but...
Bill G

itc

Hey Anthony,
What kind of HDRI did you use for your scene?
Did you use HDR Light Studio?