Main Menu

Porsche 921 - WIP

Started by yotah1, May 31, 2013, 02:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yotah1

Hi everybody.

I recently sketcheda Porsche 921 vision for, hum, well, Porsche  ;D

So here is the sketchboard I did :

And here are some work in progress renders and screenshots (I render it regularly when I've done some extensive work on the design, just to check it works well when lighted and shaded, it helps to see the problems).

Right now, this is for about 2 days of work. I've got to modify the windows as I'm not happy with their shape (top of windshield is too round, side window corner window don't align properly...), fix a bump on the shoulder area in the body, and later I will pull out the fenders a bit more. Tomorrow : bumpers (and the mods).
I hope to get it mostly finished by middle next week.

mjb

Thats really great work - I really like the concept sketches you have done. Could you tell us what software you are using for building the car? and what did you use for the concept work?

yotah1

Handsketch and Photoshop for the design sketches / Autodesk Alias 2013 for the modeling.

mjb

Great work matey and thanks for the info - really like the PS renders and I like the concept of basing it on the 928, which I've always liked the look of.

edwardo

This is real nice, for several reasons. I'v always loved the 928, particularly the early ones, and thought it's well overdue a decent update. This is definitely on the right tracks in my opinion. Your small side on sketch is bang on - very faithful!

Thanks for sharing an insight into your process. Its really helpful to see how you go from sketch > sketch render > putting first surfaces together, and seeing how one might go about starting to build a car and communicate the form clearly using minimal surfaces.

I can see how keyshot can be used in parallel with modelling as basically the best surface evaluation tool in the biz.

Thanks
Ed

yotah1

Thank you guys :)

Yes Ed, Keyshot is for me a really good and quick evaluation tool, especially as this is a sketch to 3D process, which I normally don't do (usually I go through a clay model before doing the CAD...).

Here's for today's work :

the fenders have been pulled out, wheels too and added a bit of camber to them, all the body side has been cleanly rebuilt as I had a little surface bump on the shoulder line. This was tricky to remove, it took me 6hrs and about a dozen tryouts! The windows have been changed (their shape, not the surfacing), and the rear bumper is getting it. The lower valance on the rear bumper will need a new design as soon as I clearly sort out what I want to do with the diffuser and exhausts. The tail lamps will need work (right now I have only the outer skin of the glass) inside and the body must be finished around them. Tomorrow I'll get on the front bumper, and finish the rear bumper.

Remains :

some interior for rendering purposes
mirrors
lamp details
underpanels
shutlines, etc

mjb

Thats coming along really nicely. When can I order one?  ;D

Josh3D

Indeed, coming along really well. Thanks for sharing the concept sketches as well. Always nice to the the process and how your using KeyShot along the way. Can't wait to see more!

yotah1

More stuff, design is coming along nicely :)

guest84672

I really like the design. Very cool. The images are a bit dark for my taste, especially when watched on a MacBook display.

yotah1

I know, same on ym computer, but I'm too lazy to retouch them as they are just WIP images. The last one is brighter. But they show up brighter in keyshot, and then darker once rendered...

yotah1

Modeling is done, so here is the final wireframe. Renderings will come soon.

TpwUK

That's an excellent frame Yotah - very clean

Martin

yotah1

Thank you :)

1st render done (click on it for full size).

mcd

Absolutely incredible..... you should wave this under Porsches nose..... somehow?

Really admire your work..

Mike