Main Menu

Porsche 921 - WIP

Started by yotah1, May 31, 2013, 02:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yotah1

Thanks for the great feedback guys :)

John, I will answer point by point :

1. no retractable spoiler as the shape of the car offers already quite some downforce with the rear spoiler integrated behind the rear window. Also, it's a 928 modern interpretation, and the 928 was clean and simple, no extra stuff, no shiny shenanigans and so on, so I want to keep that way of thinking and do a "clean" design. Also, the 921 is more of a 4 seater autobahn cruiser or weekend driver than a full on sports car, so while a wing makes sens on a 911 with its heritage and philosophy, on a modern 928, it makes a lot less sense.

2. i personnally like the wheels painted like this, it stays simple. Once again, doing a diamond cut, or two tone treatment, would make the design of the wheels quite complex visually, something I want to avoid. I know everybody does super crazy finishes nowadays on cars, but I'm a guy who likes simple and efficient things :D

3. the windows are flush because it's easier to model, and on a "vision" model, I don't see the point of spending a lot of time on doing the gaps and all like a real car, as what i want to show is a design, not the windows rubber joints for example. And anyway, showcars are done with super flush windows :)

4. same as the previous points, i want to keep things clean, and that's not a racecar or supercar, so no vents on the hood, nothing crazy. Just stay clean.

But the headlights need work (but still with a simple and nice design).

edwardo

Sir, you are truly a master of your 'game'. This is a beautiful outcome and by the looks of it a viable one. I think its neigh-on perfect, and I whole heartedly agree with you about avoiding fussy spoilers and 'floating' front ends. What you've done is thoroughly on brand and oozes porsche DNA. However, it is your process that impresses me the most. My hat is well and truly off!!

Im about to make the jump from rhino to alias (tentatively). Seeing your work has got me quite excited about this migration. Any suggestions of good books or resources would be very gratefully received as I will be 'teaching' myself.

Thanks again for sharing - there is some impressive work on this forum, but yours is in the next stratosphere!

Ed(wardo)

yotah1

Well, Alias is, how can I put it..., a PAIN to work with  ;D
But I'm a bit of a crazy guy according to my friends so I only work with Alias!

To make it simple, it's all about the quality of your initial curves, and always work with squares. This software only understands squares, and clean ones only! So clean basic surfaces, and then I basically use 2 tools for the rest : Tubular Offset to trim my surfaces where I want to put a radius, and then Freeform Blend in Curvature G2 or G3 mode for the radius itself. This way, it allows you quite some freedom of editing along the way. Apart from that, I pretty much have no idea what all the other tools in the software are here for, but they definitely aren't here for me  ;D

guest84672

I heard that before from some true ALIAS masters. All they ever use is a handful of tools. Sounds like a great modeling tool to me once you get rid of all the other stuff. And it would be easy to use, and then it comes down to your craft and creativity. Kind of like KeyShot. ;-)

Speedster

I totally agree with the simplicity of line.  I keep coming back to these images, and "don't see" more every time.  Hard to describe, but my eye just flows right along the form, with no breaks.  The hardest part of good design is to know when to stop. 

I've had the privilege of working extensively with the great auto designer Tom Meade, now in his 70's, who is now working on his Thomassima IIII.  (Google Tom) He told me once that he draws his inspiration from classical art, like the flow of a windshield from studying the kneecap of Michelangelo's David.  It may sound strange, but that's where, in my opinion, great design originates, not from stealth fighters.  So much design today is what I call the "Suppository School of Design".  Again, that's just my opinion.

I'm just now getting my feet wet (soaked!) in subD modeling with MODO and nPower for SolidWorks.  Take a look again at the wireforms. There are so few polys!  No wonder the lines flow as they do.  I've learned a lot just studying them, and I thank you!

So- this design is perfect! Including the orange wheels.  End of story, in my book.  If you don't get your position at Porsche you should start your own car company!   

Bill G   

yotah1

I might have to win the Euromillion (make it the EuroBillion actually) to start my company though  ;D

I'm fingers corssed for the Porsche application, we'll see what they say.
I agree with you Speedster regarding the design philosophy, nowadays a lot of guys just draw more and more stuff, and what i've learnt in my little experience is that things that last are simple and clean, they go to the goal without taking any detours.

H

I have to admit that when I saw the first few pics, it didn't remind me of porche. However the car in the last pictures you posted couldn't look more porsche! Simple and clean design but still looks new and fresh. Amazing work as many have said!

DriesV

Quote from: Speedster on June 07, 2013, 07:51:37 AM
Take a look again at the wireforms. There are so few polys!  No wonder the lines flow as they do.  I've learned a lot just studying them, and I thank you!

I believe those wire images show the NURBS isoparms from the Alias model?

Dries

yotah1

Yes indeed, Alias is a NURBS software, it doesn't do polygons.

But still, there aren't many nurbs on the model, I tried to keep the modeling as clean as possible to do a proper job.

edwardo

Quote...and then Freeform Blend in Curvature G2 or G3 mode for the radius itself...

I used to work with a guy that went upto G7 continuity at times. Could never really understand why, or in what circumstance you would need G7 surface continuity. never go beyond g3 myself

DriesV

Quote from: yotah1 on June 07, 2013, 12:01:36 PM
Yes indeed, Alias is a NURBS software, it doesn't do polygons.

But still, there aren't many nurbs on the model, I tried to keep the modeling as clean as possible to do a proper job.

Yes, that's the right way to do it. :) However, the planning and thinking process before even drawing the first curve can be quite challenging.
I mostly use SolidWorks, in which complex surface modelling is guaranteed to become a frustrating and cumbersome process. Mostly because of how SolidWorks handles a history tree with zillions of complex features. Feature errors and basically broken parts upon rebuilding are common in SW when you're pushing its capabilities for creating complex geometry.

Dries

Speedster

Hey, Dries- take a look at the nPower Surfacing for SolidWorks plug-in.  It's a mindblower, even in its infancy.  Been using it for about two months now.  subD for SolidWorks!  http://www.npowersoftware.com/NewPowerSurfacingOverview.html
Bill G

degruch

Just caught this on FB, great work sir!

I'm just about to invest a small fortune on Alias (soon as I clear some backlog TT  ;) ), so wish me luck! I know it's a total pain to work with, but SolidWorks just doesn't cut it for surfacing. Time to move on.

Good luck with the job application.

Cheers,
Duane

yotah1

degruch

Much better colour combo...nice one. 8)