Increasing DPI but image size is very small

Started by kjoiner, June 05, 2013, 07:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjoiner

Hello,

I'm a novice on rendering and exporting and I'm running into an issue when creating a rendering for our marketing department.  I rendered one of our new machines at 300 DPI with a resolution of 2786 x 1506 and a print size of 9.28 x 5.02 and set the file type to png.  When the file is brought into Photo Shop, the resolution drops to 72 pixels/inch with a document size of 38" wide x 21" high.  Our marketing person was asking about increasing the resolution and no matter what I try, the image stays at 72 DPI.

I then imported the render into my copy of Corel Photo Paint and resampled the image to 300 DPI and dropped the image size to 19.34 x 10.45.

Did I follow the correct procedure for increasing resolution?  I seem to recall Keyshot has a limitation on resolution for the standard version - is that correct?

Is this normally a two step process?  If so, and I understand the settings, I can work with that.  Basically, what I need is a rendered image that is good enough for an outside part to be able to enlarge or reduce the image as necessary without getting pixelation.

I cannot provide any images since this product is confidential and undergoing patent evaluation.

Thanks,

Kyle

Chad Holton

I used to run into the same thing with my marketing department. I would just change the DPI to 300 so they'd be happy.  ::)
As long as you render out the correct resolution to get the correct picture size when printing @ 300 dpi, you'll be fine. Don't worry about what PS says.  ;)

Ruckus

Kyle, you are not loosing resolution.

A 4x6 image at 300DPI  is exactly the same as a 12x18 image at 100DPI, and so on...

Different programs will report the resolution to size ratios differently, but you have the same number of pixels either way.