KeyShot 4.1 Beta - Procedural Woods

Started by NDenekamp, June 06, 2013, 03:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NDenekamp

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here, so I'll give you a little intro.

Since graduating, I've been working as an product designer in the UK for a few years.
I model in Rhino and SketchUp and I've come from Maxwell over to KeyShot  - LOVING the speed!

Ive been having a play around with the upcoming procedural woods in the 4.1 Beta, and I wanted to share some of the results / observations with you all.
I have used the excellent www.wood-database.com as a reference for colour and grain patterns

First up are some wooden toy train track pieces in Beech.

I used procedural wood for both the colour and specular, and added a procedural granite in the bump texture to create the finer 'cracks' you see in Beech wood aside from the main grain.

Second is a simple bench or stool in brown Oak, mainly to see the turned legs.

Here I did find that I had to unlink the materials for the board and the legs, in order to control the mapping individually. Does anyone know if that is the only way about it?

I will add some more later on, and hopefully start building a little database of procedural woods.

Niels

guest84672

NDenekamp

Thanks Thomas!

I typed a whole lot more when I first posted.. but somehow it got erased in the process..  I've added some more description back to my initial post.

guest84672

Yeah- be careful with the "special characters". The forum doesn't like those.

Despot

Nice... could have done with those tracks for my train...  ;)

J

Josh3D

I've got the same tracks! ...err, my kids do rather :) Love these. Might add a radius to the tracks.

NDenekamp

Metal Master, It was actually your train model that subconsciously triggered me to the track I think!

Josh I intended to add a small radius with the Rounded Edges feature, but it didn't seems to like either the geometry or the procedural textures much..

I have a few more to show.

The bowl is a red Elm, with stretched and procedural noise texture in the bump

Wood joint is sand Pine. Again intended to use the Rounded Edges, but it messes the geometry up somehow.

And the Tamper is Teak - the one in black with just spectral and bump.

Josh3D

Looks great! I've not seen an issue with rounded edges and the procedurals. May try to keep it under .1 on the Radius setting?

NDenekamp

Finally found some spare time..

Thought I would try a translucent wood!

N