Pixelated diffuser pin

Started by number12, May 21, 2013, 05:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

number12

Hi guys, when I add a rectangular diffuser pin light the edges seem to look really pixelated, this also carries over to the rendering. Why is this and how can I stop it please?

guest84672

Did you save the HDRI or select "generate high resolution image for KeyShot" under the EDIT  menu of the editor?

number12

Hi Thomas, I saved the HDRI file which I had initially created by blacking out the "startup" scene then adding my own pins. I wasn't aware of the "generate high resolution image for Keyshot" option before. Sounds as though that should fix this though, thanks.

number12

Actually, it didn't resolve it, I was working with another scene, again created custom pins, one of which was a rectangular (like a diffused light box) the edges on the reflection of the object again were jagged even though I used the "generate high resolution for Keyshot"..

guest84672

What is the resolution of the HDRI?

number12

When it was being saved (the high res for Keyshot) I think it said 1000x2000pixels.

guest84672

This is probably the reason for the pixelation. You need a higher resolution than that.

br3ttman

Number 12,

I had the exact same issues as you, and DriesV helped clue me in on how reduce the pixilation.  It's a 2 step process to set-up the HDRI with custom pins, save/export it and reimport it to get the clean HDRI reflections you're seeking.  Here's a link to my previous post on the topic along with some visuals:  http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,5433.msg24041.html#msg24041

It'd be a nice in future KeyShot release, if you could dial the resolution in "on-the-fly" versus having to save and reimport the HDRI.

number12

Hey thanks br3ttj, I will look at that, constructive help. Thank you!

number12

OK tried this, I'm sure it would have fixed my issue but now every time I go to edit my pins on the blank HDRI Keyshot crashes.... >:(.  What now??

br3ttman

number12

I hadn't tried DriesV's blank HDRI.  However, you can quickly get the same result by starting with any of KeyShot's HDRI's.  Just open the HDR editor and under "Adjustments" turn the brightness all the way, or nearly all the way down and then start creating your desired pins.  Personally, I like using the default studio lighting and not turning it all the way off, to achieve a nice ambient light.  Then I add pins both for lighting, but in particular for reflections.