Keyshot 4.1 Import -> update geometry problems

Started by al_jot, July 02, 2013, 06:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_jot

Hi there,

as mentioned in the "Subject" I'm having some issues about updating geometry in keyshot 4.1.
I imported a .3dm (Rhino) file in keyshot via "import". (...and I don't want to use the Rhino Plugin!!)
After making some changes in the .3dm file and saving it, I want to update the geometry, also with the "import"-function of keyshot (you can check "update geometry").
Unfortunately the loading bar freezes and it takes forever. I know, for large scenes, it can take some time for updating, but i had the same problem with some basic models (simple ball).
In KS 4.0 it worked just fine.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Alex

guest84672

We will look into it.

BTW - why wouldn't you want to use the plugin?

al_jot

Hi Thomas,
thanks for checking this.
If I use the Rhino plugin, my Rhino layer structure is not supported. When importing the .3dm file directly, I can create layers and sublayers and subsublayers...
Moreover, if I import via plugin, my models are not positioned exactly. This means if I want to add some different models to the scene via import with keep original size and keep original location checked, they are positioned somewhere else. If you want to, I can send you a test file I prepared to check the new import funtions of ks 4.1
In our workflow, we oftentimes have a lot of variants of a product with a lot of different parts.
We prefer a layerstructure like this.

-Var01
  - component 01
    - part 01
    - part 02
    - part 03
  - component 02
    - part 01
    - part 02
    - part 03
-Var02
  - component 01
    - part 01
    - part 02
    - part 03
  - component 02
    - part 01
    - part 02
    - part 03

BTW.: In KS 4.0 (and all previous versions) we achieved this by putting each variant in different 3dm files, each component on different Rhino layers and each part got its own material name. This worked perfect. Now we havel to deal with some big troubles, with keyshot files created in KS 4.0 and continued with KS 4.1 (this layer structure issue also affects the update geometry function).
If we would have known about this change, we would have waited with installing this update.

Cheers

Alex

guest84672

Yes - we are aware of the issue with the plugin and the layers. Development is on it.

al_jot