Main Menu

Gem Stones

Started by Ed, July 20, 2010, 11:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Playing with materials and lighting in the latest ver of KeyShot.

Diamonds, red ruby, blue sapphire, black spinel.

Ed

Richman

Ed

Thanks Richman.  

I uploaded a new version because I forgot to enable High Quality Texture Filtering, which eliminated the halo around the reflections in the metal base.

Ed

Ed

OK - I had to post one last version.  This time a new table material to make the reflections less intense (grey pearl paint).  This is a screen shot and I'm very pleased with the result.

Diamonds, Sapphire, Ruby, Black Spinel.

Ed Ferguson

Richman

Did you tune the materials or are those the stock material settings?

Ed

I tune everything :)   Materials & HDRI.

I'm always experimenting.  As with photography, lighting will affect the appearance of materials. Often I tweak materials to get the desired color and reflections given the particular lighting.  I prefer to keep post work to a minimum - in the example below I tweaked curves in PS just a little because the lighting was a bit flat.  That's it.

I hope soon there will be an easy way to catalog and share materials with other KeyShot users.

Ed

Richman

The material sharing seems to be in the works.  The material display sphere is almost complete.  Subsurface material parameters coming very soon.  I'm looking forward to sharing more materials.

Many things need two materials to look right.  Such as glass edges or the glowing acrylic neon sheets.  Perhaps there can be material pairs??

I also try to get the render colors as perfect as possible and do minor color curves in PS.  Pretty much photography touchup techniques...  I don't care for the look of images that have been noticeably altered by PS.  My goal it always have any effect or process be so subtle or perfect that you can't tell what effect was used or if at all.  If you can tell it has been PS'd then it's not a good job in my book.  Just like SFX in movies and boob jobs.  

justindustrial

Quote from: Ed on July 26, 2010, 03:08:34 PM
OK - I had to post one last version.  This time a new table material to make the reflections less intense (grey pearl paint).  This is a screen shot and I'm very pleased with the result.

Diamonds, Sapphire, Ruby, Black Spinel.

Ed Ferguson

I've seen these beautiful diamond renderings with lots of fire and colour in the diamonds, and no matter how hard I try, I just can't get it! My diamond material stays grayscale for the most part, with the odd blue highlight on an edge. I've tried changing the surface under the diamond, HDRIs, adding lights, no luck.

guest84672

The fire depends on your lighting, and also the Abbe number. While the scientifically accurate Abbe number for diamonds is 55, you can lower the number to get more "fire".

I hope this helps.

Chad Holton

Hi justindustrial,

Ed mentioned a while back in another post (buried deep around here somewhere), it's the environment sweet spot you have to find. I have the best luck with a black ground plane under the diamond (actual geometry), I assume you've tried this one though from your post? And also turning the environment gamma way down and the brightness to about 1 (this is all depending on your HDRi and taste of course  ;))  And as Thomas mentioned the ABBE value makes a big difference too. Hope this helps - let us know if you have any other questions and post what you end up with.

feher

If you can get some caustics (spelled that wrong)on the ground plane that would bring this puppy to the next level for sure.
Thanks for sharing looking good.
Tim

justindustrial

Thanks for the tips guys, I have tried placing some geometry under my diamonds, but I traditionally keep my gamma settings pretty high, so I'll try dropping it down. I did notice that a lower abbe number brings more fire, but I felt like I was cheating that way. I'll give it a shot!