Metals (4.1)

Started by NDenekamp, June 23, 2013, 11:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NDenekamp

Here's one I didn't think was gonna be possible, but I managed to set something looking like a galvanised steel!

It has a procedural colour map based on a very heavily distorted wood texture, creating alternating patches of light and dark, and an equally distorted specular map creating similar patches of more an less reflectivity, slightly offset again the colour map. Lastly a weak noise bump map to create a little unevenness in the surface.

The resulting shape of the blobs is a little too round to pass for actual galvanised finish, which I realizse is typically more angular.. but I haven't found a way to achieve that with just the procedural features. I'll come back to it to tweak it a bit further..

Niels

NDenekamp

Test on some more galvanised steel like geometry..

I can see now it definitely needs some more work.. >:(

NDenekamp

Just noticed.. they look like very abstract sheet metal cars... :D

NDenekamp

Wrought Iron elbow, using the noise procedural for colour, specular and bump

Despot

Hello Niels

I absolutely love the wrought iron, very nice indeed...

Would you be willing to share the galvanized metal as I have an idea  ;)

J

Speedster

Interesting that the "galvanized bracket.60" is very close to a precision hand scraped finish, as used on machine ways, surface plates and the like.  Scraping (flaking) is a bit more even, with overlapping rectangles, but this is an interesting direction to explore.  I'm going to try it with a distorted carbon-fiber bump.  Gotta be easier in KS then way back when I had to learn and do the real thing on cast iron!
Bill G

NDenekamp

Thanks Metal Master!  I'd like to do a little more work on the galvanised steel, but I will share it with you soon!

Bill, I had never heard of such a finish before, sounds very cool / labour intensive! The specular map came out a bit strange in the render of the sheet metal pieces..

I've just been working on a zinc plated finish with yellow passivation, always such a nice material!

Ed

Niels - Great work.  I really like the cast iron detail.

Can you get a straight-line satin finish on stainless steel with the procedural material?

I'd like to get away from graphic images for bumps.

Patiently waiting for 4.1 release - don't have the beta.

Ed

NDenekamp

Hey Ed,

I'll have a look into that. you mean satin striped that go round with the ring?

I was albe to create this the attached.  The procedural types all get generated infinitely (or everywhere within the boundaries of the geometry you apply them to) So it's not really possible to have just one stripe in the middle of some other surface.

Also the current metal material doesn't support specular maps, so I had to create a metal like material out of the plastic type with a high fresnel value. The rings are generated by the procedural marble, with value 0 for all the fluctuation in the 'veins', ending up with essentially a layers gradient map. So, nothing here really that you couldn't do with a simple graphic specular map if all you wanted was even layers.

I hope that made sense...

N

Ed

Niels - Interesting that you used the plastic material for metal.  I'll have to try that.

By "straight-line" I did not mean a stripe.  I mean that the fine satin finish lines are not curved.  I looks like you  did than with value 0. 

So I was hoping for an even, fine brushed metal finish.

I'm curious to see if the light interacts differently with this technique as opposed to using graphic maps.

Keep experimenting - it's interesting to follow your work.

Ed

NDenekamp

Ok gotcha! You mean this:

Ed

Yes.   Is that the existing KS brushed metal finish, or procedural?   If so, what is the process?

Ed

NDenekamp

It's a procedural noise map in the bump channel, scaled (compressed) along the Z axis. Bump height of -0.25

So my understanding of how it works is that the 'procedural noise' is a sort of cloud of points of varying density. if you scale this down greatly along one axis, you can imagine these clouds becoming some sort of disks of high density. Where this field of disks intersects with the geometry of an object, the resulting interference pattern becomes the bump map, which you can then specify the bump height for. I don't know if thats really how it works but in my head it does  :D :D

Ed

N - It looks great, and as far as your explanation, I'll take your word for it :)   I hope you saved it and are willing to share it.   

Hoping KS gets released this week.  Also hope KS gets a database of materials and a sharing solution in place.  The forums are hit & miss for finding user-generated materials.

Ed

DriesV

Quote from: Ed on June 24, 2013, 04:54:31 PM
The forums are hit & miss for finding user-generated materials.

+1! ;)

I think a solution is in the works though...

Dries