Is anyone else having issues with Keyshot 4.1?

Started by Bahr3DCG, June 25, 2013, 09:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bahr3DCG

Hi, I just updated to KS4.1, and am noticing a couple things. 
First, KS4.1 seems to crash a lot more while opening or importing files.  The files in question are .BIP's and .OBJ's.  Seems to happen maybe 1 in 3 attempts.
Second, the new caustic feature doesnt seem to be working for me...  When I activate it through the settings tab, nothing seems to change.  Ive tried it on gemstones and glass materials.  Do focused caustics require a special lighting setup? 

Is anyone having these issues?  Or does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

Mac OSX 10.7.5, 4gb Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Much gratitude for any help!

Steve

Hi, Bahr.

I'm having trouble too.
I can't KS getting to start even once. No opening, no exporting from Pro/Engineer, no starting at all... :(

Steve

WinXP 32bit/Intel W3530 @2,8GHz/2GB RAM

rossco

Seemed to update 4.0 ok and ran fine from installation but when I click on the KS4 icon on my desktop it opens up version 4.0. 

Any ideas?

guest84672

As far as the caustics go, you will need to put a ground plane in the scene to catch the caustics.

Any crashes should be reported to support@luxion.com.

Once you install KeyShot 4.1 the previous version of KeyShot 4 will be overwritten.

Bahr3DCG

Thanks for the reply.  As far as crashing goes, it seems to have improved.
In regards to caustics, Im still having issues.  Do you mean add a ground plane with just any plane and material, or does it have to be this new "ground" material type?  I hope its any plane, as the ground plane type seems very limited in terms of appearance. 
Ill attach 2 of the renders Ive done.
The gemstone render has the ground material type applied, and is the best ive gotten so far, but it still doesnt look right.  Theres some odd distortion, and its caustics are not very apparent. 4 hour render
The scotch glass has a regular material on the ground plane, but doesnt exhibit any signs of caustics.  12 hour render.  way too long!
Both have a standard HDRI environment, and both have caustics enabled from the settings.
I appreciate any help.  This is really bugging me.

DriesV

Your ground plane is way too glossy, almost like a metallic mirror.
Have you ever seen caustics on a mirror surface?

You need another ground plane material (ground/plastic...) to see the caustics.

Dries

guest84672

And you may want to throw in an actual light for a stronger effect, once you changed the material on the plane.

FaccioDesign

Hi there,
Since I've installed the 4.1 relase I can't open any files containing diamond materials, the result is just a black preview and when I'm trying to click any button I have a crash.
I've already wrote 2 times to the support but I didn't receive any response.
Now I downgraded to the 4.0.xx to be able to work, I think is not so professional from the support team not giving any help for this issue.

If somebody have any tips please write how we can manage the diamonds file with the new version..

Thank's a lot
Mirko

Chad Holton

Hi Mirko,

I just tested a file I had using diamond materials and had no problem opening. Not sure what it could be. Would you be able to send me a simple file to test that's giving you this same issue? If so, please send to chad@luxion.com.

Thanks,
Chad

FaccioDesign

Hi Chad,
thank's for your prompt reply, just sent a test file to your email.

Mirko